36: Soulless Army

Morning arrived without any incident. It was a short night, and everyone had recovered their strength.

"My liege, are we going to attack another base today?"

The elf that was standing just behind me asked. I nodded, and scanned the map one more time. One base was close enough to us, but we saw no movement, even until now. I folded the map neatly, and put it in my pocket.

"I'd like to go and scout the base near us."

The elf bowed.

"Then I will assemble some people to-"

I raised a hand, stopping her.

"I'm going there myself."

The elf didn't say anything, and bowed one more time. I stood up from my chair, and walked out of the camp through the back entrance. I don't want to attract the attention of too many people. I double-checked the map to make sure, and made my way to the military base near here. It didn't take too long for me to arrive. I checked both entrance, and noticed that the camp was strangely quiet. I decided to wait for two hour, hoping to see any sort of movement from the camp. Still nothing. I'm on a tight schedule as is, and I definitely can't wait around any longer. I braced myself and walked into the camp. Again, it was quiet, and what's more, no one is here.

"Just what is going on in here?"

I walked around the camp and understood that it was completely abandoned. Just recently too.

"Did they retreat to the other military camp?"

Just as I turned around to leave, I felt strong bloodlust coming from all direction. I quickly pulled out my scythe, and looked around. Still nothing in sight, but the feeling of bloodlust are getting stronger by the second.

"I was wondering when you will show up."

I turned toward the voice, and saw a man with black robe, holding a wooden staff with blue crystal embedded at the top of the staff. The man's face is already rotting, and I can even see some of his face bones through the shade of his hood.

"I am glad to see you here alone. This way... recapturing the slaves will be so much easier."

I tightened the grip on my weapon and furrowed my eyebrows.

"Is that why this camp is abandoned?"

The man laughed, and slammed his staff to the ground. I sensed movement around me, and saw corpses rising from the ground.

"This camp was made just for show. What would beds do for the dead?"

So they anticipated an attack from outside...

I clicked my tongue, and took out a small satchel, filled with golden dust. I threw it into the air. It hovered above me for a while, before turning into a griffon. It landed beside me, and let out a loud, intimidating screech.

"You know what to do."

The griffon looked at me, before flying away to the supply base.

"What would one griffon do against an army of undead?"

I shrugged, and readied myself.

"Stall for time."

The man seemed to be annoyed, and slammed the ground one more time, summoning even more undead.

"I am one who commands death! All shall bow before me!"

I took a deep breath, and released it all in one shout, casting waves of light magic around me. The undead fell down to the ground, like puppet with their string cut. I looked at the man in front of me, and he doesn't seem to be affected much.