32: A Life's Worth

"Oh God, I... I..."

My mind is a jumbled mess. Em's body laid lifelessly in front of me, and the color on his face is starting to fade. I tried all kinds of things to try to stop the bleeding, but none worked.

"Why... why?! Why didn't you stab me! Answer me you idiot!"

I tried again and again in a futile attempt to wake him up, even when my arms went numb, and blood covered my hands. I can't stop my hands, nor my tears, because I know the moment I stopped my hands is the moment I take my own life. And I can't do that. Not after what he said to me.

"Em... please... come back to me..."

My arms finally gave in and I slumped in front of his body. I hugged myself as I bit down my lips, so hard it bleeds.

"What happened here?!"

I looked behind me and saw Joker standing there. I looked at Em's cold body and shook my head.

"He stabbed himself... to save me and my sister..."

Joker expressions contorts in anger, but he knew what he should do first. After quickly checking him, he signalled to Cannon, standing just a few feet behind me.

"It's fine. He didn't stab his heart. He is in a critical condition though."

Hearing that doesn't bring me any relief. If that's the case, then there's still the possibility of him dying. And I can't live with that. Not anymore.

"Em... just what the hell is going on inside that head of yours..."

Joker balled up his hands, trying to calm himself as best as he possibly can. It didn't take long for help to come, and that means that the rebellion won. I should be happy, knowing that the Nameless is gone... but what is it worth if it costs me the person I loved? As the medic took him away, Joker crouched beside me and rests his hand on my shoulder.

"I know this isn't the right time, but could you come with us?"

I nodded weakly and let him handcuff me. I was escorted by him personally and was put in a car, parked at the foot of the mountain. From the time he escorted me to the time he brought me to their headquarter was a blur. I couldn't remember what questions they gave me, and I can't remember what I said. I'm not sure if I answered at all. The next thing I realized, I was already in a cell. Some time passed and Joker came back and unlocked my cell door.

"There's something I'd like to ask you."

I stood up weakly, and followed him to an interrogating room. He put a mug filled with coffee in front of me and sat across of me.

"Is it true that Em... no, Reaper stabbed himself?"

I nodded slowly, staring at the coffee mug in front of me. Joker closed his eyes, and sighed.

"And he did that because?"

I looked at Joker's face. There was neither anger, nor doubt in his expression. But then again, he is a master infiltrator for a reason.

"I... accidentally said that my sister... was held captive by the Nameless..."

I looked at my hand and realized that there was a few wounds on it. My fingernails must've dug themselves in without me realizing it.

"I shouldn't have said that."

He nodded, and rested his arms on the table.

"And why is that?"

I tried to take the mug from the table, but as I pick it up, I realized my hands was shaking quite badly. So I put the mug down, and took a deep breath.