29: A Reaper's End

The gunshot was loud, and I snapped my attention behind me. Several men were rushing towards us, guns in hand. I clicked my tongue and aimed at them, and shoot. I managed to hit one of them, but the other two managed to hide behind a cover before I could shoot them.

"Dammit... I'm really not as good as him..."

I looked behind me and saw Em laying flat on his stomach. Blood started to pool underneath him, and it doesn't seem to stop, even when Tanya is attending to him.

"You assholes are going to get it..."

I pullen the pin on a small hand grenade I have in my pocket and threw it at the two people hiding behind my car. The grenade exploded, taking them down with it. I looked at my wrecked car and sighed.

"Well there goes my car..."

I quickly rushed to Em's side, and threw his arms around my shoulder. If my feelings are correct, then she should be here.

"Ryan, we have incoming."

I turned my head and saw Tanya shooting at the door. Gunfire can be heard from outside, so I walked as quickly as I could, and brought him upstairs. Halfway through, I saw several people walking down. I clicked my tongue, thinking that they were hostile, but they ran past me, and helped Tanya shoot back at our pursuer.

"Upstairs! Quickly!"

I looked up and saw a woman almost as old as Hector. Focusing on only the thought of saving Em, I followed the woman. She entered some codes in beside a large vault door, and it opened.

"Inside!"

I quickly ran inside, and kept on running down the long hallway. I didn't even know if the woman from before is following me or not, my mind was focused on Em's bleeding, which is not stopping. I finally found myself in a large open space, with several people walking around. The first one to notice me jogged toward me, and directed me to the medical bay. Some people took over, and carried him toward what I can only assume as the surgery room. I sat down on a nearby seat, and heaved a sigh of relief.

"How is he?"

I turned my head toward the voice and found the woman from before. Tanya is standing behind her too. I shook my head.

"He was just brought in for surgery... I hope it hits nothing vital."

The woman looked at the door, and nodded.

"How did it happen?"

I shrugged and shook my head.

"A group of people might have been following us. We didn't realize until it was too late."

I bit the corner of my lips. The woman sat beside me, and put her hand on my shoulder.

"This happens all the time in your line of work, does it not?"

I glanced at the woman from the corner of my eyes. Her tone was flat, and there's no hint of emotion on her face.

"Yes, it does. It happened a lot."

I stood up, and walked nearer to the operating room door.

"But Em is no ordinary friend. To me, he's a comrade who shared life and death experience with me."

I turned toward the woman and noticed a change in her expression. It is much gentler than before.

"Then I suppose I can trust you."

She then turned toward Tanya.

"How about you, Tanya Polovstev? Do you share the same sentiment as him?"