16: Revealed Gem, Hidden Fire

It was a nice surprise to see Trigger and the others knocking on our small fort's door. Looks like aside from wanting to join my mercenary corps, they also brought some friends. We expanded in a relatively fast pace, and when it's finally time for the monsters to invade, the Abandoned City was more or less under our control. Now, it's not so abandoned anymore.

"So we've populated more than half of this city, but what's next?"

I shrugged and sat down on the window sill.

"Wait for the enemy to come... Seriously, I was thinking about a small mercenary corps that takes some small jobs. I didn't know that it was going to explode into a town filled with mercenaries."

Clover sighed, and put the graph she's holding on the desk.

"That's true. Still, it's great to see how much income we received each day. We're almost at 1 million Zeal a day."

I looked down and saw a bunch of people near the entrance. Looks like they're searching for a job at the request board. I stepped away from the window sill and looked at the graph Clover put on the table.

"True... well, we should receive more income soon. The Golden Gear Merchants signed a contract with us yesterday, right? I think they're going to set up shop today."

Clover nodded and gave me another piece of paper.

"They're setting shop here, and here. They said they want to expand sometime soon, too."

I smiled and pats her shoulder.

"Tell them to not be too greedy. We have contracts with others, too. Can't have them hog all the spots."

"Got it. I'll tell them exactly that. Then I'll be going now. If I stay cooped up any longer then I'll lose my edge."

I hummed and nodded a few times.

"That so? Then let me tag along with you."

Clover nodded with a grin on her face. Seriously, the frilly Clover won't smile like that. Not hating it though.

"Then let's go to the request board on this floor. They should have some challenging mission for us."

Clover did an air quotation when she said challenging. Is she nudging me with her words? Well, whatever. I followed behind her and found some jobs posted on the board. It's also not as crowded as the one outside of the guild. The one's here are much harder than the one outside after all, and only few people dare to take it.

"Hm... these are all extermination request."

I looked at the board and read every request on it.

"Earth Boar, Elemental Wyvern... even an Emerald Dragon... what's with these outbreaks lately?"

Clover shrugged, and took the Emerald Dragon extermination request.

"Well, whatever. The harder the target, the better the reward. Looks like this'll net us 200.000 for killing 4 Emerald Dragons. Wanna do it?"

I read the description and found out that we can keep all the loots from defeating them.

"And we can probably get more. The loots are for us, see?"

She looked at the request again.

"Huh. Missed that one. Then it's a lot better for us."

I nodded and took the request from her. We went to the counter, where an Elf is writing another request to be posted. She noticed us approaching, and raised her head.

"Oh, it's the commander. May I help you?"

I put the request on the table.

"I want to take this request. Can you confirm it?"