35: Lifestealer

I opened my eyes and sat up. Three hours of nap was enough to replenish my lost strength. I stretched, and let out a huge yawn.

"Seems like you've had quite a nice sleep."

I turned toward the voice and saw the female elf from before. She's geared with a leather armor sewn quickly, and a longbow.

"Yeah..."

I stood up and scratched the back of my head.

"My liege. The troops are ready. Those who have decided to fight have gathered at the camp's gate."

She knelt on one knee and bowed.

"We are waiting your orders."

I nodded, and turned toward the front gate. The elf followed behind me quietly. At the front, quite a number of people had gathered, all armed with makeshift armor and looted weapon.

"We are a small army, numbered less than three hundred demi-humans, but I am sure my liege will lead us to victory."

I grunted, feeling the weight of her expectations, and the other two hundred eighty seven demi-humans on my back.

"Very well..."

I clapped once, using wind magic to amplify the sound, and getting the attention of the army.

"I will be at the frontline in each of our battles. I have to ask you all to stay behind me, and kill any surviving enemies. That way, I can at least guarantee that we will have minimal casualties."

The troops looked at each other, seemingly confused.

"My liege, aren't we supposed to be at the front? We'll be more than happy to be your shield."

One young kobold said out loud. I can feel her determination even though she was quite far away. I shook my head.

"No... I cannot let any of you die. I do not want to see anymore casualties... Not after my failure to protect my people."

I turned toward the elf, and nodded. She stood in front of me, and raised her bow high. Cheers erupted from the troops, and we began our march with me at the front. Behind the army was less than two hundred non-combatants, and a hundred or so injured.

Six hundred people... and I'm in charge of their survival...

I gulped, afraid of the possibility of me not being able to protect them.

"My liege, why the long face?"

I turned toward the elf, and shook my head.

"No... it is nothing."

The elf didn't pursue it any longer. I tried to push the fear aside, and just focus on the battle ahead, thinking up plans to get out of the battle with the least amount of casualties. After almost two hours of marching, we finally arrived at the supply camp. We stopped some ways away from it, in a jungle, to prevent them from noticing us.

"My liege, the scout have discovered that there are more slaves imprisoned here."

I nodded, and turned toward the troops.

"Follow behind me, and arrows will not reach you. Archers, I want you to cull out their numbers. When they get near us, I will try to kill them before they can get near. But in the case they do, I want you to fight for your own lives. Try to outnumber the enemy three to one. Am I understood?"

I take the troops silence as a yes, and created a large fireball on top of me. The guards reacted, seeing a fireball appearing from a forest all of a sudden, but before they can do anything, I threw the fireball at the gates, scorching the gate and the guards.