Slipped Away

Requested by QueenLoki17

Song: Slipped Away by Avril Lavigne

<♥>

I miss you, miss you so bad

I don't forget you, oh it's so sad

I hope you can hear me

I remember it clearly

The day you slipped away

Was the day I found it won't be the same

You rushed to your boss' office, a doughnut and a steaming cup of coffee in your hands. Lestrade had been in the same spot the entire night, doing paperwork and when you entered his office earlier that morning, he had started to beg you for caffeine almost immediately. 

Being his assistant, you obliged to his request and went to get his favourite coffee. However, Anderson had made a mess of the machine before you came in and cleaning it up had taken you ages, resulting you to bring the hot drink to your desperate and tired boss thirty minutes after he asked you to. 

You stormed into the office, panting. ''I'm so sorry, sir. The machine wouldn't—'' You stopped talking mid-sentence at seeing your boss with company. ''Oh, excuse me, I didn't know you had someone coming in today,'' you apologised, cheeks heating up. 

The DI smiled kindly at you. ''It's alright, (Y/N). Thank you for getting me some breakfast.'' 

''That's my job!'' You placed the coffee and doughnut on his desk and turned around, ready to leave. However, a deep voice made you stop. 

''Early twenties, afraid of public speaking, grew up with a mother as a single parent after the father had been brutally murdered, the killer was never caught.'' 

You turned back to face the stranger who just summed up the major points of your life, your mouth hanging open. ''H-How did you know that?'' 

''Sherlock, leave my assistant alone,'' Lestrade groaned. 

''No, no, I want to know how he did that,'' you protested. 

A smirk formed on the man's lips as he launched into his explanation, ''You look young, not much older than twenty-five, so early twenties it is. I know you're afraid of public speaking, probably because of social anxiety disorder, by the trembling of your hands when you spoke earlier. Even though you know Lestrade well and he's your boss, you're still nervous to talk to him. You probably have that issue with most others, so public speaking seems a logical fear to have for someone like you.'' 

You were stunned as you stared at him. ''What about my parents? How did you know that?'' 

He smirked once again. ''I get bored often. Cold cases are a form of entertainment during those times. I recently found your file and read it, (Y/F/N).'' 

You smiled shyly. ''That's impressive,'' you concluded. 

''You think?'' 

You nodded confidently. ''Yes. I have never met anyone who could do that. But don't you think it's a little unfair?'' 

''Whatever do you mean?'' Sherlock inquired, an uncertain smile on his pale face. 

''Well, you know so much about me and I know nothing about you.'' 

He smirked. ''The name's Sherlock Holmes and I have to admit you're right. How about we fix that?'' 

''What are you proposing?'' You asked, feeling your face heat up again.