An Old Flame

Requested by thatonescotishgirl

Aah, finally! The first MycroftxReader of this book. I just love this man to bits and it always saddens me that not many people request oneshots with him in it, but here is one! 

Thank you so much for over 12K reads on this book. I'm so glad to see all the support I'm getting on this book. Have an amazingly amazing day, everybody!

<♥>

''Mikey, is this your laptop?'' Violet Holmes wondered, pointing at a silver laptop partially covered by a chopping board and some whole potatoes. 

Mycroft sighed, resting his head in his hand. ''Mycroft is the name you gave me, if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end.'' He grunted. ''And yes, that is my laptop. On which depends the security of the free world and you've got potatoes on it.'' 

''Well, you shouldn't leave it lying around if it's so important.'' Mrs Holmes scolded.

It was Christmas, the happiest time of the year... to most people. And as a way of keeping old traditions alive, Mrs Holmes had invited several people to join them for Christmas dinner and later, a visit to the local fair to watch some performances and enjoy the winter night. 

Violet hadn't been this excited in years. She had managed to get some new people to visit, but some recognisable faces, too. 

It had always been a tradition at the Holmes residence. Ever since both Holmes brothers were born, every year, around the holidays, it was the same thing; dinner and the fair. 

However, over the years, as Mycroft and Sherlock grew up and left their childhood home, it had faded to nothing. They rarely came to visit and they lost all contact with the people they knew from back then. 

During the entirety of this process, Violet watched it happen with a sad eye and didn't intervene. But when Sherlock got shot and only just survived, she was determined to make most out of the time they all had left. So, she called everyone who was welcome to re-start the tradition and spend some quality time together. Life was short after all. 

She was glad to see both Sherlock and Mycroft attend, accompanied by John, Mary and Rosie, but there was still one guest who hadn't arrived. And as time passed, she wasn't sure if this particular person would still show up. 

Up until a week ago, you hadn't spoken to the Holmes family in twenty years. You were beyond surprised to receive a phone call from Violet, inviting you to what had once been your second home to spend Christmas with them. You had been hesitant, but felt like it would be fun to see everyone again. One person in particular. 

Mycroft Holmes. 

Ever since you met him when you were both eight years old, you had been the greatest friends. And when you grew up, you even developed stronger feelings for the now-government official. You had had a crush on him for years, but never acted on them since you didn't want to ruin anything. But then, as you both turned eighteen one year, Mycroft left to build a career for himself. 

That was exactly twenty years ago and you hadn't heard from him since. 

To say the least, you were nervous to possibly encounter him again, but also excited to see who he had become and if he had lived his dreams.

The doorbell rang, surprising Sherlock well enough to result in him taking a bite off his biscuit big enough that he dropped it on his lap and started coughing.