Prologue

21 Years Before Another Selected
~~~
Kent was eerily peaceful this year on Christmas Eve. It was mid-afternoon and all the stores had closed for the holiday. Jackson Carpenter was huddled in a winter coat with no gloves; he'd rushed into town quickly to find a midwife and doctor. His daughter-in-law, Joslyn, had gone into labor suddenly and his son Christopher had been too anxious to leave her side even for a moment.

The midwife and doctor rushed behind him, each carrying large bags of medical supplies. There was no large hospital in the area, so it was no surprise that Jackson's grandsons would be born at home on the farm.

A large gust of wind slammed the front door behind them. It was howling quite loudly, only adding to the growing feeling of apprehension. Jackson could hear his daughter-in-law's moans of pain from upstairs and quickly led the doctor and midwife to the room.

Joslyn was lying on the bed, blonde hair slicked with sweat already, her large stomach protruding under the blankets. Christopher was on her right, hand held out for Joslyn to grip whenever a wave of pain hit her; he looked sick with worry, as if hearing his wife in pain hurt him physically. Jackson moved to Joslyn's left, where his wife, Annette, was rubbing her arm and murmuring comforting words.

As the doctor and midwife got to work, Jackson watched his family, a mixture of fear, pride, and happiness swirling in his stomach. He was glad that his son and daughter-in-law were having the boys they'd wanted, but twins would be difficult to deliver, especially for first time parents. He felt a sudden surge of anger; Joslyn's own parents weren't here to help or even meet their new grandsons. He understood their dislike of his family's lifestyle, but the fact that they hadn't even bothered to come to town angered him.

Joslyn screamed in pain suddenly and Annette moved to let the midwife through. Jackson put his arm around his wife, watching as her eyes surveyed the room. Her bracelet jangled on her wrist, the small star charm the only hint to her alignment with the Northern rebels. Jackson had never joined the cause, like Annette, but he still believed in its ideals and goals. He understood his wife's desire to create a world where their grandsons wouldn't be judged for their caste, where their son wouldn't be judged for falling in love with a five.

Annette moved to look out the small window, stumbling on a loose floorboard. Jackson smiled to himself; his wife's clumsiness was one of her endearing qualities, though he wondered how such a clumsy woman could be a secret rebel. He glanced over at his son, whose face had turned white with fear. Joslyn was gripping his hand tightly, following the midwife's breathing instructions.

A sudden bang had everyone looking around at each other. Jackson moved over to Annette, who was looking off towards the town, a look of pure horror on her face. Jackson followed her gaze, his own face soon mirroring hers.

Even from far away, they could see the commotion. Continuous shots rang through the air followed by screams and feet crunching on the gravel paths. The Southern Rebels had come to Kent.

"What's going on?" Christopher spoke as he tried to soothe Joslyn, who was crying softly as she heard the gunshots.

Neither Annette or Jackson replied. Jackson could only look at his wife, praying that she wouldn't do what he expected her to. Annette said nothing, her blue-green eyes softening as she took one last look at her husband, son, and daughter-in-law.

"I have to," she whispered so that only Jackson could hear. Neither Christopher or Joslyn knew of her alliance with the Northern rebels, and she intended to keep it that way no matter what happened.

"You don't. Stay," Jackson pleaded, begged her quietly, even though he knew she would go no matter what.

Annette smiled softly up at him before unclipping the bracelet from her wrist and placing it in his hand. "Give this to our future granddaughter. I will not let Christopher, Joslyn or our grandchildren be robbed of their futures by the Southern Rebels."

It was heartbreaking, but Jackson knew there was no stopping his wife. Annette hugged and kissed him quickly, doing the same for Christopher and Joslyn.

"Momma, what're you doing?" Christopher asked, confused.

Annette only shook her head, not answering his question. She turned to Joslyn and squeezed her hand tightly. "Make sure my grand baby's know that their Grandma loves them."

And with one last glance, Annette Carpenter walked out of the house, gun in hand, to defend her family and her town.

And as she took her last breath, after saving countless lives, Aidan and Kaleb Carpenter were born.
__________________________
Sort of a weird beginning, but I hope this better explains what may have precipitated some of the events in Another Elite. Jackson and Annette are Erika's grandparents, if I didn't make that clear enough (:

This was fun to write and I hope you enjoyed! Please comment and vote! Also check out Secrets and Surprises which has fun facts and secrets about this fanfic series!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_