Chapter 21

"Just hand that back in to me when you're done," Celia handed me a stapled packet and motioned for me to sit down elsewhere in the library. With a mental sigh, I headed towards a small round table in a corner near the windows to take my test.

I'd been back at the palace for a week now and had spent the majority of it with my head buried deep in textbooks. Since I'd missed so much, Celia deemed it necessary that I take an exam covering everything the other girls had learned in my absence before I began working with them and Queen America. Which meant that my brain was filled to the brim with Illéan history, whether it be social, financial, or anything Celia decided to throw at me.

It wasn't that the history was hard to learn, but there simply was so much to learn. Mom had given us smaller tests every other week, so I'd grown accustomed to that, rather than tests with over one-hundred questions regarding everything that had happened in the country since North America fell and Illéa emerged from its ashes.

Surprisingly enough, the information came relatively easy to me. My mother had been unable to go too deeply into anything, what with work at the farm, but she'd attended a public school, unlike my father, who'd been homeschooled like my siblings and I. Still, she'd done her best and it had payed off. I never thought I'd ever be able to even attempt the kind of job royalty brought about, but I'd managed this long. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was easy, but it certainly wasn't impossible.

A dull cramp began to form in my hand as I finished writing out my last response. I swear I could feel the bones in it creaking as I smoothed out the paper and stood to hand it back to Celia. She sat at a table in the center of the room and peered over the top of her reading-glasses at me.

"All done?"

"Yes," I swallowed my nerves and handed her the packet. "Am I free to go?"

"Yes, just-just one moment," she set her glasses down, clasped her hands together and looked up at me. For once in her life, Celia seemed to be at a loss for words. "I'd like to express my condolences for your sister. So much happened that night and I didn't get a chance to say that before you left."

"Oh," I stammered, now speechless myself. I'd never expected Celia to say anything remotely sympathetic towards me. "Thank you."

She nodded and straightened as if relieved to have gotten that out of the way. "I also wanted to congratulate you on being given the chance to come back. It must be very exciting to have another opportunity to become royalty."

I fiddled with my fingers and tried not to frown. "It's not about becoming a royal for me. Derek-er, his highness, brought me back because he cares for me. And I care for him very much."

She raised her brow at my informal use of Derek's name, but said nothing. "Yes, well, congratulations nonetheless. I, for one, am rooting for you and Lady Eveline."

I tried not to laugh; at this point, even Audrey had practically admitted that Eveline and I were the only real competition left. Formalities and Derek's indecisiveness were the only things stopping the Selection from ending. "Thank you, Celia."

She smiled, satisfied with my answer, and motioned towards the door. "You may go. Have a good afternoon, Lady Erika."

I all but ran out the doors. I loved to read, but after being shut in with textbooks for the past week, I wanted nothing more than to run outside, run anywhere but between the dark wood paneled bookshelves that lined the library walls. Bursting open the double doors was the most excitement I'd had all week.

"Ouch!" A voice I recognized exclaimed from behind the door I'd just thrown open. My heart beat in panic but I managed to move the door to reveal Derek doubled over, fingers pinched over his nose.