Chapter 2

Black silk rippled through my fingers as I sat cross-legged on my bed. I held the dress I'd worn when we left the palace, black for mourning Amber and the pain I still felt in my heart when Derek had slammed my bedroom door behind him. Only James had said goodbye as he escorted my family to the limousine that would take us to the airport. I still remembered his red rimmed eyes; he looked how I felt, hollow and empty, like a part of his soul was missing.

I felt the sudden urge to rip the dress in half. It was yet another reminder of the palace, the heartbreak and pain that had come so suddenly. My bracelet was stuffed somewhere in my bag, the tinkling charms like blows to my head. How had something so small angered Derek so much?

I could hear the Report playing in the family room. Watching it wasn't explicitly required, but it was certainly more reliable than Kent newspapers and tabloids. Everyone else would be downstairs, watching with blank faces, while I sat upstairs unable to bear anything to do with the Royal family.

My father wasn't one to show emotion but his fist had been clenched when I fled to my room. My elimination had been the last straw--any respect he had for Derek and his family was gone. In his mind, his belief that Derek was a pretentious asshole was confirmed after he'd broken my heart. I sensed that there was something else adding to my father's anger towards Derek, but there was no way for me to find out. Anytime his name was mentioned, I felt cold, as if I'd been soaked with frozen water. I had no emotion--I didn't feel angry or sad, just...empty.

My fingers shook as I picked at the fabric. In just a couple weeks, my nails were plain and misshapen, so different from the clean polished look at the palace. I knew if I asked Elisa she'd help clean them up, but I found I didn't want to. I wanted to cut any ties to the palace I still had. From now on, Elisa would no longer be my maid. She'd simply be my friend.

The door opened quietly and Annika walked in. She closed it behind her before slipping onto her bed to my right. She was silent, a loose shirt slipping off her shoulder, blonde hair in a tattered braid. Annika had always been the most beautiful, the most outgoing, the one who wasn't afraid of anything. But now she was quiet, a shell of the older sister I'd always looked up to.

I supposed I had expected her to be happy with my elimination. If she couldn't have Derek, than it was better that none of us did, had been what I assumed to be her thought process. But somehow she seemed even sadder and I knew it wasn't just Amber's death affecting her. There was another layer to it, something deeper.

"She never stopped talking about you," Annika spoke suddenly, her voice hoarse. "The minute you left she was already writing a letter."

Her gaze was focused across the room, on Amber's neatly made bed. None of us had touched it; the wall was still plastered with posters, purple sheets faded and stained from use.

"She was so excited to visit the palace. To see you. She was so sure you'd be the princess, that she'd get to be a bridesmaid in a royal wedding." Annika's voice caught on the last sentence.

I felt my own throat close up as sobs began to wrack my body. I'd promised Amber she'd be one of my bridesmaids no matter who I married--and now she never would.

I was surprised to see Annika get up and move to my bed, her own eyes filled with tears as she sat down and wrapped me in a warm embrace. Annika had never been one to cry much--even now she only sniffled. It was nice to be comforted like this. Dad didn't really know what to do and Mom was coping with her own grief. I didn't blame either of them for not doing what Annika was right now, but I still wish they had. Nobody knew or understood what it felt like to lose Derek, but at least Annika understood what it was like to lose a little sister. Our little sister.

"I'm sorry, Erika. I'm so sorry." Annika murmured as she stroked my hair. Somehow I knew that her apology was for everything--Amber's death, Derek breaking my heart, and Annika shutting me out after I was selected. It wasn't an explanation for why she'd done what she had, but it was a start.

I only hated that it had taken Amber's death to bring Annika and I back together.
__________________________
Sooo sorry this took so long. Life is crazy and I had almost no time to update. Just an FYI, here are the most likely times for me to publish a chapter: Wednesday's but these aren't very likely, Saturday nights, or Sunday. Every other day I'm swamped, sorry!

Anyways, I hope this little bit of happiness makes up for the long time between updates and the sadness I've put everyone through. Annika still has her side to explain but at least she and Erika are speaking again!

Please comment and vote, love you all!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_