Chapter 5

The wooden stairs creaked as I tiptoed down to the kitchen. My boots were at the door still, and I pulled them on over my thick wool socks. I was dressed in my ratty winter pajamas, fuzzy pants and one of Kaleb's old shirts. My coat was still wet and I shivered as I shrugged it on, grabbed a handful of sugar cubes, and walked outside.

The lights were off inside but I walked carefully so I wouldn't disturb any of my sleeping family members. I was thankful that they were deep sleepers; the barn doors screeched loudly as I pulled them open. There was a rustle of activity as the other animals saw me walk in, each of them expecting a handful of food.

I apologized as I passed each of them, hiding the sugar cubes in my pockets. Some of them, the sheep especially, had a knack for stealing food right out of our fingers. The horses stomped their feet on the ground and I rustled through my pockets to grab a couple cubes for each of them.

Aidan's horse was gone. I didn't know how or where he'd gone, or if Aidan had taken him, but his stall was empty when we'd gotten back. Amber's horse, Felicity, stood restlessly in her stall. My heart broke--a horse without its rider was one of the most tragic things. I made a mental promise to take her out for a ride. Anything related to my sister brought me pain, but I knew Ambs would be heartbroken to see her horse so upset.

Duke snorted as I walked over to him; he could smell the sugar cubes. I walked into his stall, my hand held out. He stepped forward, nuzzling my cheek before slurping up the white squares.

"How are you, buddy?" I asked quietly as I rubbed a hand along his neck.

Duke only looked at me, as if to say I'm going to need more sugar cubes.

I sighed. "Why is everything such a mess?"

Again, nothing. He only nuzzled my pockets, searching for more food. I groaned and gently pushed him away, and sunk to the floor. The straw crunched underneath me and I was glad that Kaleb had replaced it earlier--I didn't want to sit in any poop.

"I couldn't sleep you know," I spoke quietly. "Too many nightmares. It's like I'm reliving that day every night."

Duke began to nuzzle the top of my head, licking pieces of my hair--it nearly brought me to tears. It was almost laughable how different my life was now. Only weeks ago, my life had been filled with dresses, parties, and Derek. Now I was sitting alone in a barn, with only a horse eating my hair to keep me company.

"She didn't deserve it. She was so young, she still had so much life left to live," I sniffled. "I wish it'd been me instead of her."

I could feel Duke stop as I spoke. I couldn't think about Amber anymore, not tonight.

"You'd never leave me, right Duke?" I shifted so that we were face to face.

He snorted and licked my cheek. I giggled softly--at least I had one guarantee in life.

"Thanks bud."
__________________________
Sigh. Sorry this was short but there's not a lot of action that can happen yet. Sorry for the boring chapter!

QOTC: What do you most want to see/find out in the book? (Other than Derika :P)

Please comment and vote!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_