Chapter 25

"Here you are, your majesty," a maid who looked to be around my parents age set a pot of tea on the table. "Do you need anything else?"

"No, thank you Eloise. This all looks lovely," Queen America smiled gratefully and I murmured my own thanks as the kindly woman left us in the garden, with the queen's guards only a few feet away.

As her majesty poured tea in both our cups, I glanced around the garden. The little table was nestled in a discreet corner, surrounded by flowers, trees, and hedges, all beginning to sprout their leaves. Winter, if you could even call it that, was brief in Angeles and came and went like the wind. Spring seemed to be bursting through the trees, just like the midday sun that beamed through the spindly branches.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Queen America remarked as she set the pot back down before loading her plate with dessert. It seemed her majesty had a sweet tooth.

"It's lovely," I agreed and selected an iced pastry and a handful of sugar dusted cookies. "I'm sure there's still snow back home in Kent."

"I visited Kent some time ago. One of my best friends, Marlee, grew up there."

"Marlee? As in..."

Queen America chuckled. "Yes, we named little Marlee after her. Maxon and I were stumped for a name until the very end, and when little Marls decided to make an early appearance, her namesake helped deliver her. We wanted to honor everything she's done for us over the years."

"That's nice," I smiled, still marveling at how odd it was to hear her refer to the King so casually. Though, I supposed they were married. "Only my older sister's name has sentimental meaning. My parents sort of combined their mother's names, Annette and Rebeka, for Annika."

"Oh, I love that," she smiled and I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was genuine. "Maxon and I decided to do something similar with the children's middle names."

"Oh?"

"Derek Shalom Schreave, for my father. Genevieve Amberly Schreave, for my husbands mother. Everly Kenna Schreave, for my sister. Cade Aspen Schreave, for my oldest friend. And Marlee, like I said before." America ticked each name off a finger as she listed the names that held so much meaning for she and her family.

I grasped the handle of my teacup as it shook slightly. "I'd forgotten you lost your sister and father. I-I'm sorry, your majesty." I spoke before I could stop myself.

"Thank you, dear," Queen America nodded somberly, not trying to hide the sadness in her eyes. She reached across to steady my shaking hand, head tilting as she gave me a knowing look. "If nothing else, I can understand your grief. Losing a loved one, especially so suddenly, is not easy."

I took a deep breath, her touch surprisingly calming and motherly. I'd missed that, while my own mother grappled with the trauma of losing two of her children. "It's hard, not to think about it. The nightmares have eased but...somedays I'm afraid I'll never be able to move on."

I marveled at how easy that came out; the last thing I needed to do was burden the queen with my troubles. But she took it in stride, almost happy to help.

"Moving on isn't easy. That takes a great deal of strength to do, and in many ways I wouldn't say I'd moved on," she shook her head. "I've accepted what's happened and the pain that comes with it. Some days are easier and others harder."

"How do you deal with the hard days?" I asked quietly, picking at a frayed end of the tablecloth.

"On those days, I hold my family closer. Take time for myself if I need it. There's not one answer for everyone," she reminded me gently. "Grief is dealt with differently. And it doesn't have to be dealt with quickly. Nobody can tell you when it's time, except for you. And if that person really does care for you, they'll simply be there for you."

I nodded, mind circling back to when Derek had held me after my nightmare at Pawpaw's. Miraculously, he'd been the only one to subside the vivid terrors that grabbed hold of me and refused to let go. All because he'd held me, comforted me, listened to me.

"Besides, the pain is still fresh. I mourned my father and sister for a long time. And I'm afraid you weren't given the proper time you deserved," she continued and gave me an apologetic look. It was still strange, seeing how her eyes matched Derek's, reminding me every moment that this was his mother. "I truly am sorry for the treatment you and your family have received, especially after your sister's passing. I faced my own fair share of backlash, but none quite so...public."

"It's alright, your majesty. I just...worry for my family and their safety," I flexed my free fingers. She continued to hold onto my other hand, still shaking as I thought of my parents and siblings.

"I know my husband and I have already assured you of it, but your family's safety is one of our top priorities," she paused to take a sip of tea. "I only wish my son had thought before making such a hasty decision. I'm afraid he gets that from me."

"You, your majesty? You don't seem like..."

She chuckled, releasing my hand once it had steadied. "I can be quite hotheaded and irrational sometimes. My husband is the patient one, and thank God for that, otherwise this country would be in ruins."

"I doubt that. Sometimes you shouldn't overthink everything; in fact, some of the best decisions can be made without thinking at all. But I suppose the worst can be made that way, too," I blushed, shaking my head at my own ridiculous train of thought.

She giggled, giggled, at that and smiled sweetly at me. "I can see why Derek likes you."

I blushed even more, not quite knowing how to respond.

"My son tends to overthink the little things and gloss over what's important. Hence, his decision to eliminate you," her eyes scanned the garden. "I don't always know what goes on inside his head. But I do know that he's enjoyed having someone push him to be better, though I don't know if he'd admit that. He'll be King someday, and he needs someone to both challenge and support him. I want to thank you for doing that already."

"I...your welcome," I managed to choke out.

"I'd also like to thank you and your family for your hospitality when he, ah, interrupted. With everything that's happened, I know it wasn't easy for them to welcome him. And I know it wasn't easy for you to come back."

The understanding in her voice surprised me and I realized we weren't all that different. "Of course. And no, it wasn't easy. But I suppose I needed to take the risk and not think too much about it. Time will only tell if it's the best or worst decision of my life."

Her grin spread from cheek to cheek. "I hope it's the best. As long as my son chooses the woman who makes him happy, I will be as well. Though I can say I'd be particularly delighted if he chose you."

"Thank you," I stammered, bowing my head in gratitude. "I could say the same myself."

She patted my hand again lightly and moved to stand up. "I'm glad we finally had the chance to talk like this. My children have always spoken so highly of you. Now I can see why."

"They always speak highly of you too, majesty. Thank you for inviting me," I stood and curtsied happily.

She dipped her head and moved to leave before turning around one last time. "And Erika?"

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Next time we talk like this, please, call me America," she grinned and turned on her heel back into the castle.
__________________________
The long awaited chat between Erika and America! Hope it was enjoyable.

QOTC: As Another One begins to come to a close (don't worry, there'll be a minimum of 30 total chapters plus at least 1 epilogue) what would you like to see from the side characters? Ex. James, Liana, Annika, etc?

Thanks for reading!

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_