Chapter 28

The shelves of the palace library seemed to stretch endlessly in every direction. I stared blankly at each of them, wishing that the book I needed would jump out in front of me. But judging by the piles and piles of them on my desk, that hadn't happened.

I groaned in frustration and slumped back in my chair. I was running out of time every day that I wasted in here. Celia expected us to present any day now. And I still had no plans for the charity ball.

I'd pored over every book notating the various problems and organizations popular in the country. But their popularity was what I struggled with.

From eavesdropping in the Women's Room, I'd already learned most of the other girls plans. Eveline, like I'd expected, had placed her focus on bringing the arts back into communities and in children's education. Rowan had decided to bring forth a focus on nationwide nutrition and healthy eating even for those less fortunate. I knew Derek would love their ideas.

Audrey had decided to allocate her time towards a mental health and wellbeing campaign that focused on self-acceptance and inclusion. I'd nearly spit out my tea when I overheard her as Audrey was the least inclusionary and welcoming person I knew. Yet, listening to her explain her ideas, I could tell she was deeply and strangely passionate about the organization she planned to bring to the palace.

And me? I had nothing. Literally nothing.

Maybe I needed to get out of this library. As I stood to move around and put the many books I'd taken back on their shelves, my elbow slipped and I knocked a gigantic book open on to the floor. Before a librarian could rush and scream at me, I knelt to pick it up before something caught my attention.

On the open page was a picture of a small brick building with a sign at the top. Angeles Homeless Shelter. And suddenly, a lightbulb went off in my head.

~~~

"The plan would be to start with the more local ones, here in Angeles. But, eventually, I'd like to expand it to a national foundation that helps shelters in all of the provinces," I motioned to my over-the-top organized bulletin board. Once the ideas had sparked, I'd hit the ground running. "But on top of the shelters themselves, I'd like us to help widows and their families, young and unwed mothers. All those who feel lost and haven't been given the help and support they need."

As I concluded my pitch, Celia watched on with a blank expression. I couldn't tell if that was a bad thing or a good thing. I waited nervously, hoping she would say something, anything.

A smile broke out across her face suddenly and she leaned forward. "Lady Erika, this is an absolutely wonderful idea."

A smile spread across my face. "Thank you."

"Well I can say with utmost certainty that I approve your charity of choice. I'll contact those who run the shelter immediately so that they can prepare for the ball," Celia grinned and stood up to leave.

"Actually, Celia, I already had some others in mind," I spoke up shyly. "Do you think it would be possible for me to pay them a visit in the next couple of days?"

"I don't see why not," she grinned.

~~~

The next couple of days seemed to fly by in a blur and before I knew it, I stood outside the little brick building that I'd seen when I first arrived in Angeles only months ago. It was a beautiful day, the cerulean blue sky untouched by clouds and sunlight dappled on the roofs and windows of the many streets in the city.