Chapter 44

-[Y/N] Pov-
As Alex makes his way towards me, I see that he looks awful. His eyes are puffy, like he's been crying for days-weeks even. The dark circles under his eyes indicates that he hasn't slept much either. Here I am, thinking that he doesn't care about me, when he's been crying over me. He finally makes his way over to me. His hair is a mess, looks like he's been pulling his hair out.

"[Y/N], please don't leave me again, I missed you so much," Alex says.

"A-Alex..." I engulf him in a giant hug and we both start crying. That's when I knew that I was important to him. Family never leaves family behind.

"L-let's go h-home," he says through the tears. I nod and we walk home.

-John Pov-
Alex said that today was the last day he's gonna look. He's lost hope, so have I. Eliza has tried to help, but it's like she doesn't even care. Mulligan had to leave because he had to go back to his job, but he said he would keep an eye out, and we told him if we found her, we would tell him right away. Lafayette also asked for us to send a letter when we found her.

"John, is there anything I can get you? You haven't eaten all day," Eliza asks me.

"I...... I'm fine," I tell her. Eliza sits down next to me.

"I can see why Alex is like this, but why are you?" She asks. I shake my head.

"Maybe I'm in love with her, I'm just not sure," I say. Eliza sequels.

"AWE THAT'S SO CUTE!!" She practically yells. She coughs. "I mean, you should ask her out. What could go wrong?"

"She could reject me then my friendship with her and Alex would be weird," I respond.

"I don't think she'll reject you," Eliza says.

"Why do you say that?" I ask.

"I'll have something to tell you about her," She responds.

-[Y/N] Pov-
As we walk towards the house, my heart beat quickens. How am I going to explain myself out of this one. Alex sees how nervous I am and turns to me. 

"It's gonna be alright [Y/N], I'm sure John and Eliza can't wait to see you. John hasn't eaten much and he's run out of hope. He's really worried about you. I hate to say it, but I think he has feelings for you," He says. My face heats up and my heart skips a beat.

"Someone as nice and handsome as John would like someone as rude and ugly as me," I say.

"You're not ugly [Y/N], and you're one of the nicest people I've ever met. You always put others before yourself. You probably ran away because you thought you were a burden on me and Eliza. The truth is, Eliza wasn't sure if she could trust you, because we had a child on the way. I forgot to mention," He smiles at me. "You have a nephew now. His name is Philip."

"R-really!!??!??!?!" I exclaim. I smiled really wide. This is the first time I've been genuinely happy in a while.

"Yes, really," He smiles back at me.

 We finally make it to the house. I take a deep breath, and with a huge smile, I walk in.