Sinking

Blair woke up feeling pretty determined that morning.

-Miss Blair - Dorota said, putting her head inside the girl's room.

-Good morning, Dorota! - Blair said in a cheerful tone.

Dorota entered with her breakfast especially prepared, with all of Blair's favourites.

-Miss Blair seems in a good mood this morning. - Dorota said with a suspicious look while disposing the tray of food next to Blair, like she expected her to be anything but in a good mood.

-Why wouldn't I be? - Blair said, trying to keep up with the happy face while standing up to start getting ready for school.

-Didn't you hear that Miss Serena is back?

It wasn't exactly the right thing to say.

-YES, and why would that affect me in any way, should I ask? - she said, clearly annoyed but trying to keep her good composure.

-Well, I thought Miss Blair and Miss Serena were...

- What, Dorota? I have nothing to do with her and she has nothing to do with me. Or do you think that close friends leave without even a glance back or a word for almost a year? - Blair took a deep breath and gave a clearly false smile. - Her comeback doesn't affect me, that's all, since we're not even friends. Is that clear?

Dorota, wise as always, knew that the only acceptable response was to wave and nod.

She waved and nodded.

-Besides - continued Blair - This is a very special week. Do you know why?

-Kiss on the lips party - Dorota said, recalling how much work she had to put for the organization since the beginning of the month - And... Miss Blair and Mr Nate's first time.

-Exactly, Dorota! And everything's going exactly as prepared. -Blair sighed joyfully. - Nothing's going to ruin my week, especially not... that PERSON.

Yet again, Dorota just nodded.

-Now miss Blair eat.

Blair looked at the food with suspicion.

-I'm not exactly hungry.

-But good mood leaves person hungry. Miss Blair in good mood.

-Why, Dorota! It doesn't work like that. - Dorota gave her a warning look, full of preoccupation.

-But I prepared all Miss Blair's favourites.

-Fine, Dorota, if you insist. I think I might have a little bite, after all.

Dorota smiled, satisfied. She had been with the girl for almost her whole life. As much as she loved Blair, she knew exactly what she was trying to do, and also knew how complicated her little Miss could get.

-While you're still here, Dorota, please prepare all of my best school clothing, my favorite headband and my best accessories, please. I want everyone to see how in good mood I am. - Dorota sighed.

Complicated was the word.

------------------

Chuck had been waiting in front of the school's gate for a while now, a cigarette hanging from his lips. That week had proved to be a great turn in events, and he could see there might be trouble ahead.

He recalled the conversation he had that very morning with Nate.

-C'mon, man, what happened? Yesterday it almost looked like you two were finally going to seal the deal, and suddenly you were gone.