Chapter 09 ♡ Toriel

CHAPTER NINE
TORIEL

The pellets now came at them in lightning speed, Flowey cackling with that twisted voice of his. In instinct, the four remaining girls--Bloom, Tecna, Musa and Stella--converged their powers quickly and created shields. The attempt failed to their dismay as their protection cracked on impact, with another wave of pellets surrounding them fast. Reinforcing what they could to their small dome, they closed their eyes, expecting the pain to shoot inside them.

Yet nothing came.

Even Flowey was surprised. He knit his unseen eyebrows, eyes squinting at the scene. They're supposed to be DEAD! He screamed in his mind. Why are they still alive?!

A fireball appears and hits the flower, him sent back by the force. The sender of that fireball stepped in--a female goat anthromorph with kind, brown eyes and fluffy white fur. She wore a purple tunic with white, long sleeves and what seemed like a symbol spread on the chest area. She tutted at the flower, shaking her head.

"What a miserable creature, torturing such innocent youth," she commented. "If you could only be a good flower, then I might not have hit you."

The girls backed up, unknown of the true intentions of the lady. Bloom, however, had different feelings for the monster. She felt a motherly aura around her--someone who's actually good. She smiled, putting down her arm as the shield dissipitates. The girls look at her, bewildered.

The goat lady sees this, and chuckles to her delight. "I see that you do not trust me, but do not be afraid," she stated. "I am Toriel, guardian of the Ruins."

"She's not like Flowey, girls." Bloom added. "She has a motherly aura. I can feel and see it."

Still filled with uncertainty, Musa questioned, "Are you really sure about that? She can be like Flowey, for all we know."

Toriel shook her head. "I genuinely have no intention to harm you."

Processing what just happened and taking in the situation, the girls put down their shields. Bloom still suggested keeping their guard up just in case, but for now wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. She's the only one amongst them who had the ability to see the truth behind people, after all.

After dissolving from the compressed position they made to protect themselves from Flowey's attacks, they showed their wounded friends who needed healing--Flora, Roxy and Aisha. Toriel gasped, a hand covering her mouth as pity and mercy shone in her eyes. "Oh, no," she silently exclaimed. "Are you alright, girls? I-I didn't think that flower could do such damage... let me help you."

If there was anything to know about monster magic, it was that it wasn't just physical. What Grandfather and the folks were saying were indeed true--their attacks took it deep down into the soul. Although souls are rarely damaged in a lifetime, even in reincarnation, they are still bound to be broken through specific kinds of magic--especially ones that involve arcane magic. Receiving this naturally is truly a blessing, for those who seek it almost sacrifice the purity of the soul. Those who manage to take it by force...

They are the ones who become t a i n t e d .

A good example would be the Trix. The three were given the power to manipulate ice, shadows and weather, but their hunger for power had grown on them and blinded them for the great gifts they had. Much like their ancestors who once took over the universe, they too had their hands on power against the whole dimension. Luckily, the Winx were there to stop their reign before the worst could even happen.

If they only waited for the right time to unlock their potential... maybe they could have been any more powerful than the Winx.

Toriel began her initial healing session as she began to spark green mist around the three. While she did that, Bloom glanced worriedly at Stella. She asked, "Don't you need some healing too?"