❝ not so bad ❞

Zoey

I hopped in my car, looking down at my arm. I got hit. It all happened so fast that I'm not even sure who shot me. All I know is, when I find out, it's over for that nigga. I clenched on my teeth in aging pain. It isn't the first time I've been shot but that shit hurt. As I was reaching into my glove department the passenger door opened. My head snapped up to see Zonnique with a concerned look on her face.

"The hell you want?"

"I was coming to check on you. I saw you get hit in there. Ro went to-"

"Nah fuck all that. I don't trust none of them niggas now." I snapped grabbing the first aid kit.

She grabbed it from me and opened it. "Zoey, Ro didn't have anything to do with that."

"You just defending that nigga cause that's your boyfriend."

"Whatever man. You need to go to an hospital-"

"Nah I got all the supplies right here. I ain't tryna talk to no police." I struggled to say, gritting though my teeth.

She sighed then grabbed the things from the box. I watched as she took the tweezers and sterilized them. She did it like an expert or something.

"Bite down on this." Zonnique ordered handing me a towel.

I clenched down on the towel with my teeth, watching her come closer to the wound. Zonnique began pulling the bullet out causing my eyes to water. That shit felt was excruciating as hell. She pulled the entire thing out quickly and I groaned loudly.

"Numb that shit!"

"Zoe relax please." She reassured, grabbing a needle. "I'm going to stick this near the wound to heal the pain."

"Aight hurry up."

Zonnique gently inserted the needle causing me to wince slightly. Once the fluid entered, I started to feel some of the pain fade. It amazed me how much she knew about this type of shit. She stitched me all up within ten minutes and wrapped my upper arm.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"You're welcome." Zonnique replied and put the aid kit in the compartment. "I'll drive you home since your arm is numb."

"Nigga you got school."

"It's Saturday sherlock. Now crawl your ass over to the this seat." She scoffed and got out the car.

I rolled my eyes then slid into the next seat. Zonnique got in the driver's seat and adjusted the seat. I relaxed in the passenger and threw my head back. Honestly I just wanted to go to sleep. She started up the car and drove off to my house. While we rode, she played some of my old Jay Z's cds. She isn't bad as I thought. She's actually hella cool.

• • • •

Zonnique

I pulled up at Zoey's house and hopped out the car. I helped him out then we walked up the stairs to his apartment. I felt horrible about him getting shot like that. It all happened so fast and the shooter fled the scene quickly. It was obvious Zoey was his target but why? I know he's like the 'drug lord' around here but damn. Once we made it inside he went into his room and sat against the headboard. He looked exhausted yet furious. I already know he's going to retaliate. His temper is short and once you fuck with him, there's your life. I sat on the bed and twiddled with my thumbs, looking down.

"How'd you learn to do this?" Zoey asked lowky gesturing to his arm.

"Well I've always wanted to be a nurse so I do a lot of studying. Though I'll never get into a college.." I muttered.

He scrunched up his face. "What you mean?"

"Zoe I don't even have enough credits to graduate and I'm still selling. I haven't got any recommendations either."

"Fuck that. You need to quit hustling and put your head in them books. Nique selling is gon' either kill you or you'll be in jail. You ain't gotta keep doing this shit." He said seriously looking me in the eyes. "I know you smart and you got potential to actually be some."

Hearing that made me feel somewhat confident but I was still unsure. I used to be an honor student until I started skipping school. I stopped giving a damn about my main priority: school. Now I'm down on my luck. There's only two months of school left and my gpa is a 2.9 because I've missed so much work.

"It will be impossible! I want to go to a good school, like in California or something. I need to get away from New York."

"Nothing is impossible. If you keeping thinking negative, your outcome will be negative. You're going to graduate Zonnique and you going to college."

"How?" I asked softly.

Zoey sighed. "Look for a couple months I'll help you out with your bills and shit. So you won't have to hustle. Then you'll have time to focus on school. You can do it Zo."

My eyes widened again. "No! I done need a guy to pay my bills-"

"I don't give a fuck honestly. I'm helping you get outta here and start a better life, for you and your little sister."

Images of my little sister Kami played in my head. I haven't seen her in about a year now. I miss her so much. Besides our parents, she's all I have right now. I started to think about Zoey's idea and contemplate. I don't want Kami living with our aunt forever. I know my parents would want her where she's happy. I sucked up my pride and looked at Zoey.

"I promise I'll pay you back."

He laughed. "Nah it's no charge. Honestly Zonnique, you're the only person I trust as of now."

"You know.. you're not as big of a jerk I thought you were." I said with a small giggle.

"You're not as big of an asswhole either." He replied with a smirk. "Well you are but I thought I'd play along."

"Shut up light skin nigga."

"Ha. Well I'm about to go to sleep, get out." Zoey joked getting in a comfortable spot in his bed.

I got up then ran my hand through my hair. "See you tomorrow?"

"If I feel like it." He smirked.

"Whatever." I blushed and walked out of his room.