❝ ready ❞

Narrative

The weekend shortly passed by and it was now Monday morning. Zonnique woke up early to get ready for school. She got in the shower for about fifteen minutes then brushed her teeth and washed her face. Afterwards, she put on all her woman necessities and got dressed. She wore light blue highwaist jeans, a custom made sweatshirt, leg warmers and her black timbs. Zonnique grabbed her mcm bag and car keys before heading down the stairs. She got one pack of pop tarts from the cabinet then headed out the door.

Around eight, she arrived at school and parked her car. As she got out people gave her weird stares. No one was used to seeing Zonnique at school time. Usually she'd show up three hours late or never come at all. Zonnique walked inside and went to her locker. She put in her combination and it opened instantly. As she began putting some things in her bag, two arms wrapped around her waist. It was Romelo with a surprised look on his face. He didn't expect seeing her until noon or even later.

"Hey Ro." Zonnique closed her locker and turned around giving him a plastered smile.

"Hey baby. What you doing here so early ma?"

"About to work on boosting my credits. I'm giving up selling to graduate and hopefully go to college." She sighed leaning against the blue lockers.

He raised his brow. "You know we only have three more weeks til exams then the final grades go in."

"Yeah but I'm going to try my hardest. Besides Zoey's gonna be helping me out."

"With what?"

"Ya' know bills and such. Afterall it was his idea." She shrugged nonchalantly.

Romero starred at her in a confused manner. "I could've helped you."

"Yeah but I want you to focus on school also Ro. Don't worry, everything will work out as planned."

Before he could respond, the bell rung and Zonnique was off to her first period class which was English. She went upstairs to the classroom and walked inside. She was the first one there. Her teacher, Mrs.Ross looked up then widened her eyes.

"Well good morning Ms.Zonnique! I haven't seen you in about a month or so." Mrs.Ross said then smiled warmly.

"Yeah.. morning. Can I get my makeup assignments or nah?"

"Yes you may after class. You're very behind dear but today we're starting out essays. Hopefully you can complete that by Wednesday?"

Zonnique nodded. "I will try."

"Alright well have a seat right here in the front."

She mentally rolled her eyes then sat in the front row. Minutes later the rest of the class swarmed inside after the tardy bell. They began whispering about Zonnique and giving her looks. She sulked into her seat and ran a hand down her face.

"You're in my seat." A high pitched voice scoffed.

She looked up to see India Westbrook with a hand on her hip.

"Well go find another seat because I'm not getting up-"

"No this is my seat and I seat here everyday. You would know if you ever came to school!"

Zonnique got up then smiled nicely."Look bitch, it's too early for this. I'd advise you to get you light bright ass on."

The classroom attention came onto the two girls.

"If I don't?" India snarled mugging her.

Zonnique grabbed her bottle of water and twisted open the top. She poured the water all of India causing her to screech.