The Cosmos

Chapter 1

The sunset is always different to me. Different colour, different appearance and different time. I guess change is undeniable. I always climb up 'The Californian' to catch the sun disappearing already behind the clouds, I have never seen one except in pictures.

My shoulders slump for a bit before I straighten myself up. I roll my shoulders back in a circular motion and crane my neck from the right to left. I crack my knuckles, close my eyes and recite the spell.

"Where I stand is not where I wish to be. My thoughts and desires pull me elsewhere. Let me stand where I long to be. My wish and my will is to be," I say the location in my head," This wish I will all of my heart, let me be there in a snap. So mote it be. So mote it be. So mote it be," I snap my fingers once.

The cool breeze I felt from the altitude vanishes and is replaced by no air at all. I open my eyes and see the familiar unoccupied hallway of the abandoned hospital I have been roaming since I was a toddler. It just takes one step for me to get hit with an enormous headache and dizziness.

I grab hold of the old receptionists counter and lean against it, waiting for my disturbances to pass. I close my eyes and breath in and out. I open my eyes for a brief second, to black spots blocking my vision. I close them tightly and grip the edges of the counter hard.

I reopen my eyes and push myself off. I wipe my forehead with the back of my hand and walk to the end of the hall. I jump over garbage and broken shards of glass, I push over gurneys and pass the corner to get to the elevator.

I push the button and wait. I feel a figure at the corner of my eye but I don't look. I know nothing's there. The elevator doors open and I step in, pressing the top floor button as well. I I tap my foot repeatedly wishing I stopped that habit.

I don't like wishing because I have done just that many times in my life. I wished my parents wouldn't of died, I wish I didn't have any powers and I wish I wasn't a witch. Wishing is just a waste of time.

The elevator dings and the doors slide open. I walk through miserable with the same old huge attic along with a few chairs and some sleeping mattresses.

I walk toward the middle of the room and plop myself down on a ratty old chair. My lips tug upwards and I feel a warm energy filling the room. Strong, muscular arms encircle my stomach and his breath against my ear sends chills down my back.

"I missed you," his mouth nibbles on my ear and I stifle a moan. "Well then next time don't leave for three days," I turn my neck slightly and our noses touch. His hazel eyes stare deeply into my green ones and my heart flutters.

"The group needed more food, I thought we agreed not to get mad at each other when one of us leaves for a run," I smile at him,"I agreed not to get mad at you but that doesn't apply with Piper." I try to get up but he firmly holds me in place.

I knit my eyebrows together,"So you do have one jealous bone in your body," he gives me a half smile. I fake a sweet smile,"Yea so after I kill her... Your next." He rolls his eyes and gently kisses me on the tip of my nose. "I brought you something," I rise my eyebrow, I haven't had a gift since.... Well never.

A single red rose appears on my lap, it's the perfect colour of red and the aroma is intoxicating. I pick it up and sniff it, Charlie closes his eyes for a minute and holds on tightly to the chair. I drop the rose back on my lap and cup his face. I bring my forehead to his,"I hate this, this little magic that they keep us on," he cups my face with his soft hands.

"They say its for our own good," he moves his head back to look at me,"Do you like it?" I leave one of my hands on his face and I fetch the rose with my other one. I bring it to his nose and he inhales the smell. "I know how hard it is to make a flower like this last even an hour," I already see it fading,"Thank you, I love it."