Cassiopeia

Chapter 9

My heart rate still isn't back to it's normal pace. I can still feel that women's hand on my wrist and my head hasn't stopped throbbing. I press the ice back harder on my forehead.

I barely remember what happened, I was kind of unconscious. I got my head slammed and the next thing I know Will is shaking me to wake up.

All the bodies were on the floor in awkward positions and Will was badly bruised. I reached for his cheek and he moved back, I tried not to hide the sting it produced inside my chest.

"Don't worry about me. Let's get you out of here," he said and kicked the front doors open. Yes, I want to get far, far away from this place, I never want to see that women's face again. I began to move when I felt an overwhelming urge to look behind the counter.

Do I have a concussion? That is the last place I should want to go. But I didn't make any movement toward the door. Will looked at me patiently. He always saves me.

Without a warning I leaned over the counter and peered at the collapased body of the cashier. I can feel the echo of my head hitting the counter. My eyes went up and down her body, I was looking for something, I didn't know what.

Her energy. If I can access the tiniest bit of this deceased body I can know everything about her. Her life, her emotions, her personality, her dreams, nightmares. Something inside me wanted me to do this, it's like i'm being possessed.

It's hard to get energy from a corpse because the soul has already left the body, the life force is gone, it only leaves an empty shell. Hopefully her soul hasn't completely evaporated, I just need a hint of it.

I smell it, I feel it. The way a person's energy affects another's is based on how good or bad the person was. Her's is cold, shallow and it makes me feel like i'll never be happy, like I will be an a small, cold pit for the rest of my life.

It smells like metal, a common smell for people like her. I can't help but pity her, she was so deep in depression and anger that it consumed her, like a fish out of water. I was surprised she hadn't killed herself yet.

Her childhood was horrible, abused by her father while her mother didn't know. She got pregnant by him at fourteen and her mother kicked her out because she didn't believe the abuse happened.

She lost the baby and to make ends meet she prostituted herself, at first it was for food and shelter, then for drugs. She overdosed and died for three minutes before she can back.

She found out she was a witch and joined a coven. It wasn't enough. Other witches bullied her because of her life and seven warlocks raped her one night. Then a miracle happened. She met a man.

The whole love story unfolded and they were planning on running away together. Travel the world. The thing about a coven is that when your in, your in for life. For some reason the coven leaders decided to release them if they completed a highly important mission.

Her lover's mission was to teach a few beginners some magic control. Her's was to capture me. All she had to do to finally get the happy ending she deserved was to catch me.

She had suffered her whole life and I could have helped her. Given her freedom. She has suffered more than I will ever know and it's my fault. Her love won't ever be able to kiss her or tell her how much he loves her.

I close my eyes and sent her my energy, so her soul has the power to find peace, a witch farewell. This is the only magic I can conjure up without pain, I have no idea why. I don't tell when i'm crying until Will places his hand on my shoulder.

With his other he gently pressed the ice bag to my forehead, it hurt but his eyes are the only thing I saw. His hand moved up and down my arm and his eyes never left mine. His eyes roamed over my face down my neck to my hands and he looked up again.