New Moon

Chapter 2

You know that feeling you get when something scary is about to happen and the anticipation is more scary than the actual event?

I uncover my ears and slowly get up and lean against the wall. My head has just been through a hangover and there's no aspirin. The scattered tools, the surgery table and the wall pieces are no more because I'm in a different room. Maybe even in a different place. The room is dark and only a small light bulb on the ceiling stop it from completely being overtaken by darkness. It's not only dark but round with a long table in front of me with three chairs. For three people.

I pinch my leg and force my heart rate to go down, they can sense fear and manipulate easier knowing that advantage. I wipe my hands on my torn jeans and breath at a normal pace. All those things Byron said about The Order keep circling in my head. Am I here be stripped of my magic completely or am I here to help?

The light flickers and then goes out. I feel a rush of cold air and I rub my arms, goosebumps fill them. The light comes back on and the three chairs are now occupied. Two men and one women stare at me with their hands folded on the table. The one sitting on the left is Lars, he has silky white long hair, teal coloured eyes and a kind look to his face. The one on the right is Amara, she has fiery red hair, chocolate brown eyes and inspires a sort of admiration to anyone that looks at her. Lastly and the most important is Alastair, the most respected and strongest of our kind to date. He has dark hair, grey eyes and the only one that is smiling at me.

They just look at me and it makes me feel like an ant under a magnifying glass. "It's very nice to see you again, Every," says Alastair. For some reason his tranquility calms me from doing something stupid. "I take it you have been told of this meeting? By..." He places his finger on his mouth. "That Piper girl dear," answers Amara. "Aw yes! Of course and I take it you must of been frightened of that little mess we had to cause?" He still has that small plastered on his face but even so I can't find the words to speak.

"Alastair stopping smiling at the girl your scaring her," says Lars for the first time. Alastair tsked but his mouth forms a straight line. "Now you must be wondering why we," he points at Lars, Amara and finally himself,"Would like to speak to you?"

Amara made a 'come closer' motion with her finger and my legs start walking involuntarily. I reach down and try to hold them in place but they're too strong. I stop right about when I'm almost touching the table. She goes back and looks at her nails,"Okay, yes, i'm curious. Nobody has seen you in years," I say quietly and fiddle with a lose string of fabric on my shirt.

Alastair clasp his hands together and gives me a full grin,"I'm glad you decided to speak and to be exact it's been six years. You were the last witch we talked to, apart from each other." My mouth opens a bit and I know my eyes have gone wide. "Um... I didn't know that, so what is it that you want from me?"

"We have been dealing with a.... Problem for years. We've tried everything in our power but alas we are going weak," says Lars. Byron was telling the truth. "Your coven's power is also lowering along with every other coven in the world," says Amara.

They all tense up when I speak,"What's causing this?" Alastair stops smiling and looks highly troubled. "Not what but who," my stomach starts churning,"Then who?" Lars clears his throat,"We shortened your powers because we wanted to use the least amount as possible so it could last longer for protection."

My curiosity is peaked,"I said from who?" Who could be so strong to take that much power? "Do you know why we banned the use of dark magic?" Says Alastair. "Yes. Nobody is even allowed to look at the book of shadows," I remember getting berated by an elder witch for even saying it's name. "No that isn't the answer, we banned the use of dark magic a thousand years ago for a specific reason."