Dwarf Planet

Chapter 18

"Ery, do as I say, this is part three of your training and this is by far the most important piece of the puzzle," says Ama. Instead of the field where were last had our class now we're by the fake cabins. The other witches are staying far away from me.

Marie stands infront of me with an impatient frown as I stand there and do nothing. Honestly it is my fault but that's only because my mind can't stop thinking about Will. This morning when he dropped me off at my tent it was like the kind of drop off you see in the movies on the first date. Except the kiss didn't happen.

I wanted to kiss him last night, I don't know why I went for the cheek but i'm happy we didn't fall into our routine of leaving whatever we have in an awkward stage until one of us asks forgiveness. "Yes, Ama I understand but i'm not at all comfortable with shooting a magical spell at Marie."

Marie shoots me a look," I can handle it! Okay i'm a big girl and if it does hurt I promise I won't cry! Just do it!," she says. Ama decided that is was in my best interest to start practicing my magic on others so I could get the hang of it. I don't trust myself.

"Can I first try on a practice dummy? It would be more safer," I negotiate. Ama gives me this impatient look and shakes her head. I yawn and try to conjure up a childish spell. Ama told me my power is different from others, I don't have to say the lines of a spell, all I have to do is think about what I want to happen and it happens.

I roll my shoulders back and crack my knuckles. I focus my stare on Marie and close my eyes. I envision her the way I want my power to change her and count to three. There's a shriek as I open my easy and prepare for the worst.

Marie lays on the grounds with a pink dress on and freshly curled hair. As she looks down at her herself I burst out laughing. Marie gets up and gives me a dirty look. "Every this is not a laughing matter, you must take your lessons seriously," says Ama.

I laugh a bit more until Marie looks really mad. "Come on, I was! I swear!," I say to an unconvinced Marie and Ama. "I saw her with being hit with a bolt of my magic and I didn't like it so I did this, it's still using my magic," I explain.

"My parents already treat me like a child, don't you start too," Marie says in a pleading voice. I stare from Ama to Marie and sigh. I close my eyes once more and concentrate on her.

"Fine but if you get hurt it's not my fault," I say as I envision her and I see what I want to happen. It only takes a few seconds before I know the picture in my head has worked. I open my eyes to the spot where Marie was and I look up.

Sees mid way up a giant Willow tree as she's squirming to get down. I clap my hands and jump a little. Ama smiles and gives me a look of approval. "G-get me-me d-down!," Marie screeches. I look on in wonder, I have never done that before.

And it doesn't hurt. I feel so.... good. I slowly let Marie down with the movement of my hands. She lands on her feet and gives a look of relief. "I never want to be off this sacred ground again!," she says.

Ama moves Marie out of the way and steps infront of me. She arches her eyebrow," If you cannot perform your stronger powers on her then do them on me," she stands in a ready position. Okay, she is cleary insane.

"Are you crazy? You're an old lady, no offence but I feel worse about hurting you," I say. I signal for Marie to help me but she just shrugs and goes to sit down on a log. Ama moves her hand back and throws something invisible at me.

I move out of the way but it grazes me arm. I fall on my side and spit out dirt from my mouth. The pain increases more on my arm as I move the sleeve down and examine my wound. Nothing. No bleeding. I touch the spot and push at it. It doesn't hurt.

I lift myself up as Marie is beside me. She touches my arm and I winch back. I bite my lip so I don't scream. "What the hell did you do to me?" I demand. I touch my arm again but I feel no pain.

Ama folds her hands," I told you to take this seriously, now that is the kind of magic I do not want you to do but need you to do. This is not for my sake, but for yours." I look all over my arm and retouch the spot, nothing.

"It is a great way to disadvantage your opponent because as the spell is activate the person can touch oneself but if touched by another, well it is hell," she says proud. I cover my arm and move closer to her.

"Fine, you want a real spell? You want me to take this seriously? As you command," I say annoyed. I concentrate and tap deep within my dark power. I open my eyes this time and think about causing her the same thing but all over her body.

'It is like trick. With other witches spells and curse take time and a plentiful of effort. With your lineage the power is so stronger and advanced that it is moving a limb, barely anything at all,' Ama told me on one of our lessons. Just like moving my feet.

A veil appears around Ama for a second and disappears just as fast. I move closer I reach my arm out as if to feel the invisible object. "Do not touch me!," yells Ama and I jump back. She moves her hands across the inches front of her, doimg that she looks like she's in a box.

"What did I do?"

Ama sighs and punches the arm infront of her, when her hands lands on the invisible object her hand indents in like when I used to put my face on a mirror. "You somehow managed to disobey once more. You have put a force field around me!"

I move back and put my arm around Marie's shoulders. "So.... is class done for the day?" Ama looks like she might strangle me. Her hands ball into fists and she breathes in and out. With a red face she tenses up and turns her back on us. As she walks away I can see the shimmering veil.

I turn to Marie, "So.... Now that we're both free for the afternoon... Let me teach you the art of hair braiding," I say and she smiles. As I watch Ama's retreating back I get a sense of relief that she isn't here.

For some odd reason, even if she is helping me I feel like she's up to something. I can't shake this feeling there's something going on with her. I don't trust her and I won't tell her anything more.

"Can we have a sleep over?!" Marie shrieks, interrupting my thoughts. I mess up her hair and we go down the path that leads to the area of tents.

****

Okay I am so tired, I usually have the inspiration to write chapters at eleven and I finish at one. So what is Ama really hiding? I mean she did have that shady conversation with a guy in the woods, ans she talked very not nice as a grandma wouldn't, you'd think she would since she is at that age.

Little Fact: I love the way stewards treat you on planes. It's like your royalty because they do everything you can't get your little brother (in my case) to do.

Read. Vote. Follow @jg72jocelin