Mars

Chapter 16

It's been two days.

Two days since I almost got thrown out of my own body. Two days of only sleeping three hours a night. 17 days in the one month I have. 18 days left.

The past few days I have been working on my magic. I can do any spell on any object and I get no pain, that's unusual for me. Also with my new-found power I have stayed up at night and tried to feel Charlie again.

Sometimes when I think I get it and I hear his breathing it immediately shuts me out. But I can't give up on him or the coven. I've also gotten the habit of using my magic for everything.

I evaporate my clothes when stepping into the shower that has already been turned on by a spell and I manifest any set of clothing I want. I get out of my tent and make my way to a familiar place. The kitchen.

I have helped out a lot, I don't like cooking but it's a good distraction. I kick around some rocks as I make the trip down the dirt path. I haven't given it much thought but since I did get some dark magic in me I think I might have changed.

I don't swear as much. I feel less scared of my powers and of Charlie's life because I feel like he's okay. I can also walk around at night and not be afraid of what hides in the trees. I don't know if I should be worried or relieved.

I push open the kitchen door and with out looking I take one of the spare aprons on the hangers. Since I have been working here many of the women haven't. There scared of me.

The only one who does help me is Marie and surprisingly Callie. She helps me cut the vegetables and taught me how to make pancakes. It's less awkward for us now.

When I make it to the counter she's already finishing up on the dishes. She smiles at me and goes back to her chore. "You look like you haven't slept in ages, are you sure you don't need some spell that I can give you?"

I shake my head," sleeping wastes my time, I need to find Charlie and the rest of my coven, they have to be protected." She wipes the last plate and puts it in one of the cabinets.

"You really love him don't you?"

I have come to terms of what I feel for him. "Yes, more than anything." Callie gives me a sweet smile. Will must really like her. Of course we don't talk about him.

Callie wipes her hands on her apron,"Do you think Will has serious intentions with me?"

I almost choke on my saliva. She has been so nice to me. If I tell her yes than i'll feel sad but I can't make her miserable either. "I um... Don't know, I think he really likes you." Her brown eyebrows knit together.

"That's good to know," she says with a fake smile, "Anyway I have to go and clean up the my tent, i'll see you later?"

"Definitely," I smile and satisfied she walks out of the kitchen. I tie the back of my apron on and tie my hair up. I turn on the sink and wash my hands.

The back door opens," Callie you don't have to come back and help me-" but I can already feel his energy. "Will, didn't know you had kitchen duty."

I hear the shuffling of his feet, then he's right beside me, apron and everything. My hands begin shake as I dry them off with some napkins. I move aside so he can wash his hands. I take the bag of potatoes on the tiled counter and begin peeling them. His flat, big hand lays beside one of the peeled potatoes.

"So are you going to awkwardly peel and avoid eye contact while i'm here?" He asks. I grunt and throw the knife against the wall. I push the potatoes out of my way and clean my hands with the apron.