(7)

GABBY

My second day is perhaps even worse than the first. I couldn't keep up with any math, I got assigned a book that I've already read (and hated, mind you) in English, and Leo doesn't so much as glance at me in science.

In the meantime, I daydream about a certain Hamilton, and his first name isn't Leo. I think back to his invite for coffee. I'm meeting him in an hour. Did I dress okay? I decided on leggings and a cute top that hugged me in all the right places and was adorably billowy in all the wrong ones. I feel pretty cute, especially since I paired the outfit with some high top converse which made me an inch or two taller. My hair is down, my makeup is done (on point, I might add), and my clothes are a comfy kind of cute. I'm practically ready to explode when the final bell rings, signaling the end of study hall. I take it as my cue and zip out of the classroom and don't stop until I reach the coffee shop.

Aaron is already sitting there, looking adorably ready to study. He has on some reading glasses and is scanning a stack of papers. He must notice my movement out of the corner of his eye because he looks up and an adorable smile lights up his face.

"You're here!" He stands to greet me. My stomach flips.

"I am."

Aaron pulls me in for a side hug and I tense as soon as his skin makes contact with mine. Suddenly, I'm not in the coffee shop. I'm in the restaurant, with Christopher.

"You were great company, love." He smiles, gazing at me from across the table.

"So were you." I give him my sultriest smile.

"Do you want to come home with me?"

I freeze, blood running cold. "What?"

"I have a townhouse on the Upper East Side. It's really beautiful, all windows. I'd love to make love to you as we look down on the city."

I feel like vomiting. And then he puts the final nail in his coffin.

"I've never been with a fat girl before."

Then, the scene changes.

Christopher's face distorts, suddenly he looks anything but handsome. "Do you know how many important people were in that restaurant? My dad got a call from an investor who saw the whole thing. And you humiliated me. You rejected me. Do you know how lucky you are to have even gotten that offer? How lucky you are that someone as handsome as me even wanted a fatty like you?"

He pins me against the wall, his sour breath fanning my face. I cringe, but have no energy at all. He starts to kiss my neck. All I think about is how tired I'm getting. My eyes start to droop closed, but I'm awakened by a sharp stinging on my cheek. He slapped me! He resumes kissing me, a hand sliding up my flowy shirt. My eyes start to droop shut again and I feel pressure on my temple. And then sleep consumes me.

I let out a noise that is in between a shriek and a sob. Aaron takes a step back, holding his hands up defensively.

"Did I do something? I'm sorry, Gabby!"

My body shakes in silent sobs.

I thought I was over it.

I thought I was over it. My mind races, my heart beating nearly out of my chest. I struggle to catch my breath and slightly double over. Aaron reaches out as if to touch me again but when he sees me flinch he takes a step back, silently understanding.

In the corner of my eye, I see a group of people gathering to watch. Mothers grip their children tightly. The barista eyes me with a mean look. I have to gather my composure.