A Rather Sudden but Welcome Advance (16)

A/N: Sorry for the wait. I'm on Christmas break and have been catching up w/ old friends cuz we've all been away at college. As always please comment, vote, and share because seeing those numbers go up is my mother freaking MOTIVATION! 

PSA THIS IS A CHAPTER FROM MY ORIGINAL STORY THAT I RE-ADDED BC IT FITS AND BC I CAN SO GO CRY ABOUT IT...I MIGHT UPLOAD A NEW ONE AFTER THIS THO SO STAY TUNED

GABBY

I stare at the screen in my hand. Adam is shirtless and is throwing up a peace sign. The text he's added reads: "can't wait to c u tonight!!"

I almost feel bad for going on a date with Adam since I'm kind of sort of affiliated with Aaron too. And Leo is a complicated Pandora's box that I have no interest in opening at the moment. But I'm allowed to play the field too! That right is pretty much owed to me.

I snap a picture back and caption it: "2 bad b/c i can DEFINITELY wait to see you...awk!!!"

I sit at my vanity and apply some foundation. Then I get some yellow color corrector and smear it under my eyes. I don't want Adam to see how tired I am. After that, I put on smokey eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara. I decide to contour and highlight and, after that and a little lipgloss, I'm ready for step two: clothes. I don't bother to do my hair as it looks nice enough already and I'm on a time crunch. I decide on a fit and flare black dress that slims me down and some tan wedges. I give myself a quick once over in the mirror before rushing down the stairs and to the foyer. I snap Adam that I'm ready whenever he is and then I wait.

Finally, I get the text that he's on his way to get me and my heart starts beating faster and faster and faster. I am considering calling an ambulance when a car honks from outside.

I wobble out, regretting my choice of wedges, and am surprised to see the run down truck in front of me. We're in Manhattan, for God's sake. I guess I was expecting something...nicer. My family lives in a 50 million dollar mansion at the end of a very busy street. Leo and Aaron's house must be at least double the cost of mine. Camille lives in a townhouse that costs more than putting someone through over 50 years at Columbia. But Adam's car must cost less than my father makes in a day.

I hesitantly approach the car, worrying that it isn't Adam in the driver's seat. But it is, and he's flashing me a charming smile. My shoulders slump in relief and I climb in the passenger side.

"Didn't realize you lived here." Adam says. "If I had, maybe I would have cleaned the car."

I snort, quickly covering my mouth in mortification.

"Well, we're off to a great start." Adam grins, a glint in his eye. "I didn't picture you as someone that came from money. You're so..."

"Unattractive for a rich girl?" I finish for him. "A lot of people say that. Especially since my two other sisters look like supermodels."

"No, you're so...chill. Not stuck up or anything. I dunno. I tend to judge books by their cover. Guess I got you wrong."

"I think I got you wrong, too." I smile, looking around his car. It's full of textbooks and unopened water bottles and a gym bag. Typical college boy car, if I've ever seen one.

"Yeah, most people assume because I'm in a frat and I go to Columbia that I'm rich or something. I come from a really poor family in Tennessee. I'm a scholarship student. I am kind of...a prodigy." He shoots me a crooked grin. "More or less."

"Ah, handsome and smart." I grin. 

"Don't let the truck fool you. In a few years, I'll be a business mogul running New York."