Chapter 11- Alice

Chapter 11- Alice

Noise, raging masses of noise, radiated from the people standing in anticipation of our capsule's arrival. We hadn't even landed fully in the docking bay of the Oriehn lunar station, a mixture of glass and sheet metal separating us from the crowds, but it failed to shield us from their roar. 

I gripped the top of the leather chair, staring from the capsule controls to the hordes of Oriehn citizens throng before us. My stomach twisted, and I spun the chair around as I sucked in a breath. They waved large squares of orange cloth, the ends of some in flames, forming a burning arch above the crowd as they frantically waved them about. Eyes wide, I stepped backwards, mumbling to myself in fear, "are they celebrating or rioting?"

"A mixture of both, I am sure."

I turned on my heel, and swallowed as I made eye contact with Taliesin. I nodded. "Unsurprising, I guess. Similar things have happened on Earth—a new figure of authority is found, or put into place, and we take to the streets."

He chuckled darkly, his tanned skin wrinkling at the edges of his dark eyes, and I had to look away. "It doesn't matter if it is in protest or support. Everyone is expected to be there, right?"

I nodded silently, stomach turning as I aimed my gaze once more back towards the Oriehn.

Sin offered his arm up in gesture. "See, we are not so different, after all."

"Except your people are armed with fire," I stated blandly to hide how mesmerised I was by the orange banners fluttering about like a field of butterflies.

"A welcoming ceremony," Taliesin said and smiled. "Oriehn style."

"Oh, do tell," I mocked, but couldn't help a small smile of my own as I asked, "what does an Oriehn welcoming ceremony entail?"

"A parade." Taliesin shrugged, and cocked his head to the side as he thought aloud, "a speech. Copious amounts of food, and somewhat potent beverages—"

I laughed at that, interrupting him.

"What?" He questioned, furrowing his brow. "You think we can't enjoy intoxication as much as the humans?"

"It's just odd to think about any Oriehn getting drunk. You just seem too formal for that."

"We enjoy many things...and technically, you've only met two Oriehns. Who are you to say what we like and don't like?"

He was joking, but my expression sobered. He was right, how would I know? I didn't know them. More importantly, I didn't want to know them. I wanted to know about them, and give that information to the rebellion. That was why I was here. That is the only reason I was here.

"What is this supposed to be like?" I asked, pointing towards the crowds. Their attention, which had been previously caught solely on our capsule, was now divided between a series of street performers throwing up porcelain like structures and juggling them about and a tall, cloth covered structure.

"I am sure the fanfare looks odd to you," Sin said, "but I'll try to explain."

I nodded for him to continue.

"The oracle—she sits within that structure. No one can see her until she descends for the welcoming ceremony."

"Okay." I quirked my head to the side. "What else? What should I expect?"

"It's actually quite fun. As you walk by, some people may toss you flowers or orange vines—symbols of the feminine virtue called Portokali."

"Do they have thorns?"

Sin hesitated. "No," he shook his head in confusion as he asked, "how is that pertinent?"

"Without thorns, they don't really symbolise the feminine virtue, do they?" I quipped.

He chuckled, "It's up to interpretation, really." He smiled again, and pointed towards the crowds, which had cleared to reveal a paved circle on the ground. "This is the arena where you will enter and address the people after the oracle has given you her blessing. Then it will be quickly followed by dancing—"

"Dancing? Let me guess, to Oriehn music, right?"

    "All other music tends to be inferior," he replied with a deadpan expression.

    I sighed and shook my head with a rueful grin, though my smile faded as one thought came to mind, dampening my spirits. "Will I have to dance?"

    Sin hesitated, mouth opening and closing as he sought a diplomatic answer that wouldn't upset me. Finally realizing that there wasn't one to be found, he nodded. "As the last-born female, you will be expected to lead the bearing dance."

    My cheeks flushed red as my thoughts went back to Drai and her explanation of what my duty would be. "Bearing dance?"

    Sin rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly and tried to back away. I matched him step for step. "It's supposed to be ceremonial... The oracle gives a blessing, and gives you this-this orange vine, and you dance."

    "Orange vine?" I shouted, exasperated, "Dancing?"

    "I'm sure, with your frame, it won't be hard to manage—"

    "Hard to manage?" I interrupted, realizing that I was repeating his words but unable to stop as panic swept across me. The last time I had danced had been with my family—my brothers, sisters and I would use our parlor, and our mother's old record player.  Ever since the massacre, I hadn't danced. I hadn't had a reason to.

    "Alice, you'll be fine." Taliesin looked taken aback, and I realized that my eyes had teared up as I thought about my family. He was the one that caused it—caused everything. He was the one being held responsible, him and his people, and now I would have to dance for them too? Yes, my thoughts answered for me, because you need them to trust you.

    "I need to practice before I can even step in front of that crowd." I told him, trying to hide my inner turmoil.

    "I can help with that," a soft, lilting voice spoke up, and I turned to see Padraigin leaning against the door frame.

Gratitude rose inside me as I saw her sympathy. Drai, someone I had barely known a day, had already dedicated her time to introducing me to her culture and had soothed my fears. I felt a stab of guilt at remembering my true purpose in coming here, trying not to think about how Padraigin's opinion of me would change if she knew why I was here.

I spoke in order to redirect my train of thought, "You can?"

She smiled. "Before you, I was the last-born Oriehn female. I've done this dance a hundred times over. I think I am qualified enough to teach it."

"Thank you," Sin breathed out, refusing to look at me and instead trying to hurriedly leave the room.

Drai smiled affectionately after him. "Males don't understand the range of emotions we have to go through when we are objectified all of the time. They consider this to be quite the honor, when in fact it is a lot of pressure."

"But the dance?" I folded my hands together nervously.

"Easy enough," she said and grabbed my hand as we tore through the halls at a high pace, watching the crowds through every passing window, "but we don't have much time. They'll start to question us if we don't come out of this capsule soon and greet the Oracle and the Commanders."

I nodded. "Then let's get started."