Chapter 26- Taliesin

The last thing I saw before chains barred my view was Alice's face; tears had glazed her eyes in a red hue, and her mouth was tensed. She had sculpted it into a perfect combination of fear and despair, like the stone hearted person she was.

The wardens had clamped my shoulders in vice-like grips, forcing onto my knees in a cell fit for a small dog. I grit my teeth, looking at the roughened and stained cement below me as footsteps echoed slowly towards me.

"Captain Taliesin Graile," A voice drawled. "It is a pleasure to have you at my disposal once more."

I did not respond, opting instead to spit at the pair of slick shoes in front of me. The only warning I had of an incoming blow was Dr. Prose and his exclamation, "Wardens!" They kicked my temple, and my body slid into the corner, jaw smacking the cement causing everything to echo.

"That will be your only warning, Taliesin," The doctor huffed. "Any insubordination will be dealt with swiftly, and it will become increasingly painful each time."

I hummed, shaking my head slightly in substitution of a verbal response.

"We have been over this before, you know," He crouched down to my level, white lab coat pooling on the floor. I gazed up at him, though my hair hung loosely about my face. "When you were here the first time. Before you even met your dear friend, Alice."

I stiffened at hearing her name, my chest burning in an icy rage. I clutched at my heart, feeling as though I could sift through the shattered fragments.

"Of course, you would not be able to remember. Your time here was very telling for the human insurgence. The rebellion thanks you. Especially now that you belong with us mortals more than your own kin." The Doctor chuckled darkly, waving his hands dismissively. "But that is neither here nor there."

I looked away, hair matted to my forehead, covering my eyes. "You were the key, Taliesin." The Doctor paced about. "You grounded that ship, yes-to find her. But had you known what we learned from you, would you have done the same?" Luckily, he did not expect a response, and I could strain through my own thoughts.

"We were able to test out some new developments on you— test your immortality, watch it subside into nothing. You proved our theories about the almighty Oriehns and their weaknesses." He smiled, "And let us not forget about what you did once you were no longer a god."

I paused, unable to bring to mind any memories to support his statements. "What did I do?"

"You developed the technology we need to transport our soldier and machines to and from your home planet. Single-handedly. You coordinated and programmed the very controls to the capsules that massacred your people."

"No," I whispered. "No! I would never, never, do something like that. I would never betray my kin."

"And yet," The doctor halted his pacing, turning to me. "You did. And all for a girl, too."

"What is it that you want from me?" I grit out, curling over on to my knees. "What more could you possibly want from me?"

"Besides the secrets to Oriehn immortality? Or the exact location of all Oriehn civilians?" He paused, grabbing his chin thoughtfully. "Well, Taliesin, your purpose here is now null. You are already mortal, so we do not have to wait to kill you. Any information on your race can be extracted from your brethren, or perhaps Alice herself..." he trailed off, and I flinched.

"What is this?" He leaned forward, grabbing my chin,, forcing me to make eye contact. "Have you— have you come to care for her? Alice? Did you love her?" He chuckled, and I struggled against the wardens' hold, roaring.

"Look at this!" he hooted. "He did love her! He does love her." He chuckled jovially, clutching his notebook to his side. "And she decimated his whole race!"

I roared once more, pulling away from the wardens and lunging savagely at Dr. Prose. "Never again," My voice was hoarse. "Never again will I let someone lead me, blindly, by my heart!"

I growled out at him, watching as his smug exterior slipped, melting into insecurity and apprehension. "It is an organ reserved for the most primitive of species: Humans. And ultimately, Dr. Prose," I struggled weakly, panting. "Ultimately, it will bring about the decimation of your race."

He took a step back, hand reaching for the door. I strained harder, chuckling, as the wardens struggled to hold me back. "Never again, will I trust so easily, Dr. Prose. And ultimately," I grinned, "Ultimately, that was a mistake on your part, for letting me learn that lesson."

I kicked out at the Wardens, and one lost his grip. I acted quickly; twisting his neck until I felt a small impediment, then twisted it back more. He fell to the ground, his partner following suit quickly thereafter.

My breath came in quick and heavy bursts. "Because now? My kin are laying in their own blue blood," I advanced a step forward. "Now, I have no superiors," I took another step. "Now, I have no orders," I was close to pinning him against the wall. "Because now, I have no morals."

I grabbed the doctor by his collar, pinioning him to the far wall, my back to the door. I let his feet dangle as his face turned burgundy. "Now, I have no allegiances, no feelings of affection or reliance on trust to hold me back from draining you and every human on this planet of their red blood."

I watched as he struggled against me, the pain in my heart fading as it was overridden by wrath of the most vengeful kind. "Now," I tightened my grip. "I have no barriers."

"Only one," a familiar voice filled the room, and if I had allowed my heart to lead me I would have dropped the doctor and rushed to her. Instead I tightened my grip around his throat, as if squeezing it would prevent my heart from rebelling against me.

"Alice," I bit out, looking over my shoulder.

She held a gun, unwaveringly pointed at me. "Sin, please," she pleaded desperately. I felt my heart shatter at hearing my name upon her lips, utterly and completely broken. "Do not make me use this."