Chapter 40- Taliesin

I hunched over, face landing on the cement. I stared at the crevices, the small dips, and the chipped of pieces of rubble, until I was pulled up by the back of my shirt collar. "I think that he's ready to talk now, Dr. Prose."

My head lulled to the side and as I walked, a blurred figure approach me. Unlike the wardens, his white lab coat was the only source of the color to be found on his uniform. I shook my head to the side, leaning heavily on the warden's tight grip.

"N-no," I answered. "H-he's wrong. I definitely ne-need another round."

I felt the warden raise me, and I slumped inside my shirt, feet grazing the floor, ready to go at it again, but the doctor waved his hand dismissively.

"Leave him," He stated. "You may wait outside. If you are needed I will signal."

"D-do not go yet," I slurred, mouth weighing heavily. "We were ju-just beginning to have some fun." Despite my invitation, the white-clad soldier left. I stared up at Dr. Prose, hand patting the ground in a slow rhythm. "Hi," I stated simply.

The doctor nodded in return. "The incompetence of my soldiers has lead to several problems with course-altering effects of our war effort."

"You lost something?" I guessed lazily.

"Yes. I believe you know where to find it."

"What makes you say that?" I propped myself up against the far wall and wiped the corner of my mouth with the back of my wrist.

"You, unfortunately, were the last person in the room, and I have only just now been told that you were found in the middle of an escape."

I only shrugged.

"You were told that the more you resisted, Taliesin, the more that you rebelled against my authority, the more you tried to escape," he said and paused, looking about my small cell. "The more pain and torment you would have to endure."

"Which is why, instead of lulling myself into a peaceful sleep by now, you sent in your luminous thugs to bruise me." I chuckled dryly, but I felt my eyes remain frozen over.

"Where is it?" The doctor leaned down, inches from my face. "I know you have it."

"Where is what?" I grinned.

"The radio!" Dr. Prose kicked the stones of the wall, his foot making a dent in the brittle bricks. "Where is that radio?"

"What radio?" I asked, feigning innocence.

Doctor Prose growled. "The one on the console! Right before you left, right after I went to check on the mainframe—" He trailed off and pinched his brow. "I do not have time for this."

"You could always come back later," I suggested recklessly. "I seem to have an abundance of free time on my hands these days. No need to even call early."

Dr. Prose raised his hand back forcefully, but seeing that I looked him dead in the eye, despite my own being swollen partially closed, he clenched his fists. His grip was so tight the fist shook. "Shut up." He commanded. I shrugged again, silent.

"I will have the wardens tear through this cell until they find it. And when they do, you will have several questions to answer," He paced over towards the door, and I turned my head slowly to trace his path. "I can promise," he vowed, "You will not like my methods of extraction."

I nodded, "Understood. Do not let the wardens find a radio."

He growled, but realizing that he did not have enough time on his hands to reprimand me once more, he exited my cage shouting to the guards outside.