Chapter 27- Alice

Chapter 27- Alice

I watched as Sin and Doctor Prose left the interrogation room. I stared at the space where Sin had just occupied a few minutes ago. I wanted him to be back, for him to be the normal Taliesin again. Not the volatile one that had stood in front of me.

I let them have a few minutes together, and then walked over to the door. My eyes widened as I watched Sin hold Doctor Prose by his neck. "I'm going to borrow this!" I quickly yelled at a passing warden, snatching his gun.

He protested, but I had already pushed open the door. "Now," I heard Sin's voice and tightened my grip on the gun. "I have no barriers."

"Only one," I said as I stepped into the room, both men's gazes on me.

"Alice," He stated.

My hands shook as I pointed the gun at Sin. His eyes widened in shock then narrowed down into an intense glare. "Sin, please." He squeezed harder on Doctor Prose's neck, who turned paler. "Sin," I said in a warning tone, my hands now steady, finger on the trigger.

His resolve wavered for a second, and then he seemed to remember something. "You," Sin said, in a snarl. He would never like you. He never did, and never will. I felt like crying, but I refused to show how he still affected me.

"Me," I agreed, acting nonchalant. He examined me as if to figure out what game I was playing at, but I was not. The lies were over, as well as the trickery. But even if it was over, I knew that many things still could not be repaired, such as his trust which I will never gain back.

"Now please stop choking him," I said calmly.

"So this is how it's going to end, isn't it?" Sin said, completely ignoring what I stated. I raised an eyebrow and he laughed, a cruel sound that I hated.

"I-I am not sure what you mean, Taliesin."

He growled. "I think you do," Sin tightened his hold on Doctor Prose's neck. "Is this was you wanted? To be a murderer, to kill millions of innocent civilians, and betray all of your people? Your kin?" He spat. My hold on the gun tightened, and he noticed, shooting me a wicked smile.

"No..." I murmured, too low for him to hear.

"No?" He asked. I groaned, he had heard. "No? I think you said the wrong word. It is supposed to be yes. You helped the humans kill off the Oriehn race. Innocent men, women, and children. You, Alice Proctor, are a murderer."

I shook slightly. "Scared now?" Sin scoffed. His laugh echoed through the air, and I stared in shock at the person in front of me. He changed, because of me. He squeezed Doctor Prose tighter until he passed out, falling towards the wall.

He turned his attention towards me, sauntering forward in a feral gait. Sin cocked his head and tapped the pad of his finger on my temple. I reveled in his touch, even if it was just for a little while. His eyes held something that I could not decipher, but I didn't really want to.

"You are so gullible, Alice. So naive, so stupid," Sin chuckled. "You thought I did not notice how you reacted around me?" I stiffened as he continued. "No, you thought that I liked you back," Sin started laughing, but it was not his regular one.

This one was different, more...crazy. "Sin, stop it."

"You actually believed, didn't you?" He whispered, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear. "You thought we had a chance, you thought maybe, just maybe, I loved you." I shook my head no but he just laughed. "Admit it, Alice."

"No, Sin. Please stop." I pleaded.

"You did not think of the outcomes of your choice, did you? You were so caught up in your deceitful ways you hardly put weight into the fact that we gave you a chance. We welcomed you. Yet this is how you pay us back," Sin said, and a deathly quiet silence followed.

I would have liked his laughing. His hurtful words. But not this. Not silence. "I..." I stuttered.

"Answer my first question- wait, no, I already know the answer. You did. You fell for an Oriehn," He said. "An Oriehn that will never love you back."

Tears sprang to my eyes and I willed them to stay away, but Sin noticed. "Now you are crying, aren't you? Where is your confidence now?" He asked, his voice leering. "Pathetic, and yet you wonder why no one loved you? You wonder why I have never liked you?"

"Because you will never be loved." Sin said, enunciating every syllable. I closed my eyes, knowing that he was right.

"You are right," I muttered under my breath, eyes gauntly drawn over my tears.

"What?" Sin asked, taken aback, his tone voicing surprise. His eyes danced with emotions again, and I stared straight into them.

"You are right. I am unloved, because no one loves me." Tears fell out but I did not bother anymore. "I accepted that. My heart is foolish because it will always fall for someone only to be shattered. I'm done with love, I was done with it a long time ago." I continued. "Because there is no such thing as love."

Sin blinked, speechless. "I will not bother trying anymore. What would be the point, if you were someone like me?" I cried. No answer came. "Stupid, gullible, ugly on the inside and out. Darkness and mistakes shroud me," I looked down in shame.

"I do regret them, you know. My mistakes? I know that does not make me a better person, but at least I can admit that I was wrong," I whispered. "Sometimes, that is the hardest thing to do. But even harder is to admit someone is correct."

"Ali-" He started, but I held a hand up.

"Let me finish," I took a deep breath. "You are right. Who would want me?" Sin did not give me an answer again. I nodded vigorously. "Exactly. I have accepted that my heart is foolish in wishing for its ridiculous notions."

He opened his mouth but I cut him off again. "It's been broken enough times, but I never got the lesson down. Do not fall in love. Do not listen to your heart. I never opened my eyes, never realized. I thank you, Taliesin. You helped me grasp the truth."

"I will just keep getting hurt. Broken," I closed my eyes, pulling my lips between my teeth to stop any oncoming cries. "Thank you for shattering my heart, Taliesin."