Chapter 43- Alice

Chapter 43- Alice

I looked at the pile of rubble that used to be the research facility. Straining my eyes, I forced myself to scrutinize every inch, hoping to see Sin.

But there was nothing.

My throat went dry and I gulped. My hands shook as I clasped them together, hoping no one saw.

I noticed a hand poke out from the pile and I wiped away my tears, looking closer. As the person emerged, I realized that it was a warden and not Sin. My fists clenched together as I realized that thought could be the warden that prevented Sin from leaving.

Turning away from the camera screen, I stared blankly at the white walls, closing off the world. I didn't want to register anything anymore, I didn't want to feel anymore, I just wanted to be emotionless.

Especially since my heart felt like it broke into a million pieces. Again. The first time Taliesin broke it, he was there again to repair it. But this time? This time he was not here. He would not ever be here again.

He was dead, and it was because of me.

I killed him. Like everyone else.

"Alice?" Someone shook me but I did not reply, I could not move. I just stared at the wall, focusing in on the smooth layers of paint.

"Alice," It probed, "Alice? Alice!" The shaking resumed, harder this time, but I did not want to look up and see the resignation and the pity in everyone's eyes.

"Leanian, leave her alone. She is in shock," I heard Sin's father say. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed him wiping a tear swiftly, clenching his fist and hiding it behind his back.

"Alice," Ian ignored the commander and continued to pester me. "Just say something, please. Or move. Blink. Breathe- are you breathing?" He tried joked, and my lower lip wobbled as I remembered that I would never hear Sin make a joke again, or his voice at all, for that matter.

Ian sighed and then walked in front of me. "Alice," He pleaded gently, caressing my cheek, and then the tears came. I did not bother to wipe them away because I knew that new tears would just replace them.

He breathed a sigh of relief, "Oh good, you are alive." I laughed lightly, a small, pitiful sound but Ian grinned slightly at it. Feeling his gaze on my face I looked up and our eyes locked.

"Ian..." I trailed off, the pitch rising as the emotion came rushing through my defenses.

"Shh, it is okay." He said, wrapping his arms around me again. "He is not dead, not permanently, anyways. He will live in our memories and the history books. Sin will be remembered for generations for his good deeds and efforts," I rubbed my nose along his shirt, missing the fabric. "Are you okay?" Ian asked, whispering.

"For the most part, no," I muttered, then stood up, releasing myself from his hold. Marching over to the screen, I immediately scanned it once more and then powered it off. "I just can't stand that stupid thing," I growled, my hands curling into fists. "I could just kill them-"

"You are not going to kill anyone, Alice. You, of all people, know that there has been enough bloodshed," Ian soothed, gently rubbing my back. But the underlying meaning filtered through my mind and I pulled away hastily. You caused that blood to be shed.

"What am I going to do, Ian? I have no one now," I whispered. I saw a flash of hurt in his eyes but his emotions were shuttered quickly as he recovered.

"You have me, Alice," Ian said softly. I stared at him and he smiled weakly back at me. I did not understand how someone could still be so kind to me after all I had done and destroyed. Ian was truly sweet and caring, and I did not think I would ever understand why.

"Thank you...for being so kind," I muttered, toeing the ground and swiping my foot back and forth across the linoleum.

"Hey," Ian said, putting a finger under my chin to force me to look at him. I smiled weakly at him. He gently entwined our fingers together and brought my hand up to his lips, kissing it.

I softly pressed my lips to his and he returned it earnestly. "I like you, Alice, I really do," Ian whispered, his breath tickling my ear.

"Ahem," Sin's father coughed, and we broke apart. He stood, ever the cavalier, stoic and strong. "Sorry to interrupt the moment, but we have more pressing matters to discuss," He stared at me. "News arrived from the garrison: the oracle is has passed on."

I gasped, clutching at my heart. "B-but...does that mean-?"

"W-what? How?" I exclaimed.

"After the capture of our people, she had been taken by the humans to extract her life force— the same process that Sin went through— and lost her immortality. When she was recovered by our hunters, there was not much else we could do other than make her comfortable."

"No," I pleaded softly, "Please, no."

"Yes, Alice," Sin's father interrupted and nodded grimly. "You are now the last living female Oriehn. Ever."

I staggered a bit, reeling back from the information. Ian quickly steadied me, wrapping one arm around me. "I...I do not..." I stuttered.

Sin's father sighed. "I know it is a lot to take in, Ms. Proctor, but now the fate of our whole race once again rests on your shoulders. This is another choice you will have to make," He paused. "I will pardon you for the first mistake, but if you choose to betray us again—" The commander did not finish the thought, allowing my thoughts to wander and fill in the blanks on my own.

"Do not worry about it, sir. I think Alice has proved to us that she is trustworthy. After all, she rescued all of the prisoners and risked her own life to bring them here to Crious," Ian defended me, squeezing my hand.

"Yes, of course, Leanian, but it does not fit, to simply just forget the betrayal," He glared at me. "But as I said earlier, it will be forgotten, if you continue the race."

"I-I will," I answered, and Sin's father looked at me.

"Good. Now we just have to sort out a few pressing matters out about the sieve. If Leanian does not succeed, then you will have to be matched again. And since we do not have an oracle, we do not know who you will be bonded with," He said.

"Would Alice also have to become an oracle?" Ian asked, furrowing his brow. "In history, there have been no instances of oracles becoming bonded."

The commander sighed. "I am afraid, Ms. Proctor will have to become both, but I cannot decide on behalf of the whole council. I shall call a meeting today, and both of you shall attend. We will decide then, and also..." He hesitated, closing his eyes in pain. "Discuss when Taliesin's funeral will be."