Chapter 39- Alice

Chapter 39- Alice

"Alice..." Ian muttered, tapping on my arm.

"Yes?" I answered, stuffing the radio into my pant pocket. "What's wrong?" I asked, and Ian shuffled uncomfortably on his feet.

"Are you planning to continue through with the sieve, Alice?" He asked, and I stiffened slightly.

I had forgotten about that, especially since he was my match, and that I loved someone else.

He coughed slightly and averted his eyes. "It's okay if you don't..." Ian whispered, trailing off.

"I... I don't know, Ian," I replied, and he looked up, hurt in his eyes. He stuffed his hands into his trouser pockets, avoiding my gaze. Ian then raised his head and stared at me in the eyes, and then turned around to shuffle away. I could still see the clear hurt in his eyes.

I watched as he disappeared over the hill and bit my lip I honestly didn't want to hurt him, especially since he has been nothing but kind to me, but I didn't love him either.

Turning away, I walked towards the small camp the Oriehn resistance had set up and walked up to the outside of the largest one, where the remaining officials worked. I learned that Sin's father survived, but Drai's had not. Pain etched onto my heart at remembering her. We had not had the time to even mourn her death, nor any of our dead. We were too busy being hunted like prey by the humans.

I gently coughed and pulled on the bell next to the tent. Sin's father came to lift the flap and glared at me. Startled, I jumped back.

"You," he said venomously. "You nearly killed all of our kind, and you have the nerve to come back here and show your face? If I commanded everything, you would have been blown to shreds the minute you stepped foot on here."

My eyes widened and I held my hands up. "I'm sorry, sir, it was a mistake. I am on the Oriehns' side now."

Sin's father scoffed and rolled his eyes, crossing his arms.

"I brought back the prisoners. Is that not proof enough?" I asked desperately.

He just shook his head. "You are the last female, your duty is to bear the continuation of our race. I—we shall all spare you this once. Come in, we have things to discuss with you." I obeyed and stepped in, straying to the side of the tent furthest away from him.

"Alice, Alice." A man sat on a fold-out chair, staring up at me. "The last-born female. What a pleasure it is to meet you." I shook his hand and accepted the chair he pushed towards me.

"Why am I here?" I asked, deciding to cut straight to the point. All of the officials nodded and stared at me, serious expressions on their faces.

"Don't worry. We won't harm you." He laughed at the panic probably written on my face. "We just need you to obey a few rules and help us solve a few...ah, problems. Problems that you have created, which you should help resolve as well."

"You are the last-born female, and we need to continue our race. Which means that you shall continue the sieve," one said calmly.

"What?" I asked, my mouth dropping open.

"Yes. You will have to eventually mate with one of the eligible Oriehn males, and even though we know of your...infatuation with my son, that option is no longer possible," Sin's father said. "I would hardly call it love, because if you truly did love him, then you would not have done this," He gestured to everything around him, arms wide.

I nodded shakily. "Yes, sir."

"We do hope that Leanian will become your mate," another added. "He is a great warrior, and he likes you, Alice, despite all you have done. Be glad that one male is willing to at least try with someone like you."

"O-okay," I said, trying to agree. They all looked at me, sighing.

"Taliesin is far too valuable a soldier to be distracted by emotion, feelings, and family, Alice," his father said sadly. "There's no point in hoping. But we need you to continue the race. If you really want to prove that you will help us and gain our trust, then do this."

"Yes, sir. I will," I nodded.

He was right. Sin was stranded on Earth, and Doctor Prose probably doubled the security and are keeping shuttles ready to fly immediately. Even if he could come back, even if he disabled the machinery, he could not afford to love me, to entertain thoughts of family. He needs to focus on being a soldier, and leading our people. I clenched my fists.

Part of me rebelled at the thought of having my heart dictated by these men. Another part, hidden deep down, delighted at the chance of earning the acceptance of the Oriehns.

I could at least give Ian a chance.

I nodded at my decision. "Thank you all, but I will go find Ian now. Have a good day," I say, running out of the tent and into the rough terrain. I quickly ran to the top of a hill and glanced around the surrounding hills for Ian.

Sure enough, he was standing on a taller hill, back facing me as he stared at the planet Oriehn, and Crete smoldering in the distance. His hair was windswept and his fists were clenched together tightly. I smiled and ran towards him. As I approached him, he turned around and his eyes widened. "A-Alice?"

I smiled widely at him and hugged him tightly as he chuckled. "I'm sorry, Ian...I should have given you a chance," I muttered.

"It's okay, Alice. So you've decided to go through the sieve?" Ian asked, his voice happy as he grinned at me. I nodded and his smile grew wider. He picked me up and swung me through the air as I laughed, smiling down at him.

Ian set me down and I leaned into his chest as he pulled me closer. I breathed a contented sigh for now and buried my face into his shirt as we sat down, watching the sunset.

We sat like that for a while, and when it was dark Ian helped me up. "We can go to my tent, I have an extra blanket somewhere," Ian said, and led me towards his tent. He let me in first, insisting 'ladies first' and I laughed.

There was a thing about Ian that Sin did not have, he was more playful and easier to be with. Sin was more serious, dark and brooding, but sometimes that was cute, how he could shed that and become sweet. Ian was always sweet, though, and he would always find ways to make me laugh.

He pulled me against him again and I snuggled in further.

"Goodnight, Alice."