Chapter 15- Alice

Chapter 15- Alice

"W-what?" I stuttered, blushing.

Ian's smile grew as he repeated, "Do you want to go on a date with me?"

I bit my lip, knowing I should say yes. I had to gain the Oriehns' trust, and what better way to show it by accepting my mate? But my other side disagreed, he was the enemy.

While I was to gain the Oriehns' trust, I didn't want to go on a date with my enemy. He was an Oriehn and I was a human, and I was to help the human rebellion, not fraternize with the enemy. Ian waited patiently for my answer, his eyes gazing earnestly into mine.

I saw the small crowd of Oriehns forming around us, staring at us. I sighed, "Yes."

Ian grinned widely and pulled me closer to him, and I uncomfortably went along with it. We sat down in a room, with Drai and her match in the room to our left.

"So, I was thinking of a questions game?" Ian asked, pushing a chair towards me.

"I guess," I couldn't help my unexcited voice, but it didn't deter him. Instead, it seemed to make him more determined to win my approval. He wasn't going to get my approval, though—not now, not ever!

Ian sat on a chair opposite of me, his hands folded together on his lap as he asked the first question. "So, what's your favorite color?"

"Starting off basic, are we?" I laughed.

He shrugged. "Well, what is better than learning simple things? Personally, I find it nice to know the personal details."

"Purple," I said shortly.

"Mine is blue, but more of an ocean blue or navy blue," Ian replied, not at all bothered by my short answer. "What's your favorite movie?"

I shrugged, "Don't have one."

"You probably never heard of it before, but mine is The Five Wars." I had to give him credit—he was trying, but I wasn't that easy to get through to. "You don't talk much, do you?" Ian raised his eyebrows at me and his gaze lowered to my fingers as I fiddled with a loose strand of my hair.

"No, I'm not the talkative type," I said, and it was true; I was more observant. Ian nodded, and he opened his mouth to say something, but I cut in, sighing, "I'm sorry, but... I'm just not really, uh," I struggled for a kinder way to tell Ian. "I mean, it's not you, it's not your fault, I can't—"

"No, no, I understand," Ian laughed, "It must be weird to arrive on a planet and get Bonded to a stranger. If you want, I would like us to be friends. And at the end of the month, if you choose to reject me; no hard feelings. Just friends."

I looked at him cautiously, wondering if it was a trap. "I..."

"Just friends," Ian said quietly, lingering hope still on his facial features.

"Fine, okay." I nodded.

But throughout all of the next questions, I could tell that he was still trying to woo me. Slowly—reluctantly, I felt myself laughing more, smiling more, and answering his questions openly. While my more logical brain told me to stop and reconsider, remembering my goal for the war, but my other side just wanted to lean into his embrace and listen to his stories.

He was so kind to me, answering all my questions and making jokes. He always wore a smile and soon we were playfully teasing each other. Gently holding my hands, he held them up and placed a light kiss on both of them. I blushed but Ian continued his story on old Oriehn legends about the creation of the three genuses.

There was a knocking on our door, and Ian called, "Come in!"

Drai poked her head in and waved at me, grinning widely. "We have to go now. The ceremony is about the end and we need to make a final appearance," Drai said, her mate placing a hand on her arm. I smiled at them and nodded, getting up from my chair and walking out the door behind Ian.

"Today the deity Pythia of love and foresight has bestowed upon us two matches," The oracles said. Then, with a sweeping motion, she left, concluding the whole ceremony. The Oriehns below the stage cheered as Ian reached for my hand, raising it above my head.

The ceremony ended and I left Ian, who promised to call upon me this afternoon. Drai and I walked towards the capsule where Sin was waiting for us.

"Hey," I said in a light tone. He wore a disgruntled expression on his face.

"What's wrong, Sin?" Drai asked, bumping him with her hip. "Jealous?" She teased, and I laughed along with her at the slight blush he had.

"No," He snapped shortly, glaring at Drai, who was giggling. "Whatever," He muttered, turning to drive the capsule to our cabins at the back of the lunar station. Drai and I grinned at each other and sat in the back.

"Do you like your match?" Drai asked, and I nodded.

"He is quite sweet, actually. Honestly, he did not really even try to do anything. He just treated me like a friend, which I quite liked," I admitted. Drai nodded.

"Yeah, mine is really funny. He came up to me with a joke, and I just couldn't help it, I laughed. I bet he can make a joke in every situation," Drai said. "Did you guys make plans? We are planning to meet up in two days at the bakery."

"Oh, not yet. We  made plans to speak this afternoon," I smiled. Drai grinned at me and gently pointed at Sin, whose hands were tightly gripping the wheel and looking anywhere but me.

"Sin, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, I am fi—what is that?" He suddenly rushed out hurriedly, as he pulled the capsule to the side of the lunar station overlooking Earth's moon.

Outside, ranks of foreign ships and pods lined up just over the edge of the moon, slowly but surely getting closer. My breath hitched. "What are they doing?" Drai grabbed my arm tightly.

Sin rushed back into the capsule, knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel. He breathed out slowly, then in contrast rapidly swerved the capsule to the side and aimed it back towards the oracle's temple.

"It's an attack!"