Chapter 13- Alice

Chapter 13- Alice

My hands shook as I stood beside Drai outside of the solid metal doors. The parade had showered us with the orange, fragrant flowers after our performance, the oracle's procession had led us to a broad temple, nearly reaching the lunar station's ceiling. Towering structures of indented glass pillars and a white, matte finished exterior contrasted the sacredness with an industrial feeling.

"It's okay, you'll be fine," Drai whispered, but I could detect the waver and uncertainty in her voice. I nodded and wiped my hands on my dress.

"It is just so soon," I pleaded. "We only arrived late last night."

Drai nodded understandingly, giving me a sympathetic smile, adjusting my dress neckline.

It was white and reached my ankles, made of shimmering, woven, fabric, seemingly embroidered yet missing a single stitch of thread in the crosshairs . It was cinched at the waist with a golden rope belt, and I wore sandals that slapped against the tiling as I ascended the stairs.

"Go, Alice. You're before me," Drai said.

"Why can't you go first?" I argued childishly.

"Because we go in alphabetical order, so you go first," Drai laughed, and I nodded. Shakily, I brushed my hand across the white matte surface. The circular panels swiveling outward to an open entryway, reminding me of a flattened pinwheel.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped inside. Immediately, the smell of spiced acidity of the Portokali flower and something different from anything I had ever smelled before. I wrinkled my nose, the overpowering mist unpleasant and sickly sweet, before it morphed into a softer perfume and I relaxed a bit.

"Sit down, sit down," A soft, melodious voice spoke, and I turned towards it. A woman, probably just a few years older than me, sat on the ground with a bowl in front of her.

I sat down, and remembering the process Drai had spoken of—the sieve—I held my hand out expectantly. The oracle handed me a knife, and I cut my palms with a swift cut. Drawing in a sharp breath, I placed my hands in the bowl of water. As the oracle reached for my wrists, I quickly pulled them back.

"No!" I said quickly.

She stared at me, confused, and I hastily explained, "I wish for a chance to ask a different question."

The oracle frowned. "I...this has never been done before."

"Please. I want to ask this question. Let this be my choice, please," I gave her a pleading look, begging, and she quirked her lip doubtfully.

"Is that what you really want? I will not answer another question for you," she stated. I nodded in confirmation. "Very well, then. Seeing as I have seen your fate, I suppose there is no use in arguing. I shall bend the rules this time for you. What is your question?"

"I wish to know why I can survive on Earth without dying like other Oriehns," I said, and the oracle blinked. She held up her hands, signaling no. "Please," I pleaded, wiping my hands onto my white dress, the crimson spreading.

"All right." The oracle sighed. "You... how do I put this?" She mused. "You are not fully Oriehn. But you are not fully human, either. You are a mix of both, a hybrid of sorts, a first."

I blinked. "But what about Captain Taliesin Graile? Why was he able to survive?" I inquired.

"Ah. The humans below."

"Could you clarify?" I asked, frowning.

"He does not remember it, but he was injected with human blood. This would ensure that he could stay on Earth longer," She answered, and I remembered Dr. Prose mentioning a similar procedure back at the facility.

"So they could study him longer," I sighed as I noticed her stance and realised she was unwilling to say any more. "Thank you, and how am I supposed to go outside? I know I have to come out a certain way to show my decision, but which one?" I asked.

"Many options lie ahead." She waved her hands. "Leave your hair up, and you choose the sieve. Let your hair loose, and you are to be bonded with a mate that you do not know. Wipe your blood upon your forehead, and become one of us. An oracle."

I gnawed my lip, indecisive.

"I am not going to tell you who you are paired up with, but perhaps you can leave your hair up. This will mean that you are going with the sieve, and the male will have thirty days to woo you." The oracle answered.

"Okay, thank you for your help," she just smiled back, waving at me as I exited.

Drai smiled tentatively at me as she went in, and I just gave her a nod back. She smiled once more, then disappeared. She came out much faster than I did, her hair up as well. She sat down next to me.

"They're going to announce our matches." Drai said happily. "All Oriehns will see it, and then the males will have to come up on the stage and stand. They will receive applause and good wishes, and then everything will be over."

I nodded. The oracle stood on the platform, waving us over onto chairs behind her, and we obeyed. She tapped the microphone lightly and grinned widely. "Today is the day the last two females are being Bonded. This is quite a moment."

Silence ensued. "First, for Alice, the last-born female. The gods have ordained her match—Leanian Lorne!" Cheers erupted through the crowd, and a strong looking man walked up. He sat on the chair next to me, sending me a dazzling grin.

"I am Leanian, and I am to be your new mate. But you probably knew that already," He stuck out his hand to shake, and I laughed lightly, shaking his hand. "You can call me Ian."

I smiled at him and turned to watch Drai's match.

I didn't hear his name, but he was blond with blue eyes, quite muscular as well. Sitting next to Drai, he immediately cracked a joke and she laughed. I smiled, hoping that it would end well for Drai and her match.

Cheering ensued, but the oracle held her hands up, signaling for silence. "The two new matches will be given time to get to know their partner. As you all already know, the males have 30 solar cycles to gain the female's trust. Let us hope the two females find love with their matches!"

Leanian and Drai's mate both stood up, and I watched cautiously, not sure what they were going to do next. Bowing down next to my chair, Ian then rose up, holding his hand out for me. I quickly glanced to Drai, who had accepted her mate's hand.

I gulped slightly and placed my hand in Ian's hand, standing up and following him out the door, Drai and her match following us as well. I looked to Ian, not sure what to do. He gave me a soft smile. "Would you like to go courting?"