// sidekick //

// sidekick // 
word count: 1027 
"Hey, Web-Slinger. Ready to kick some ass?"

She's from Queens, he's from Queens. They keep their identities hidden beneath masks of fabric, tight around their face when danger arrives - it hides their character and their fear. She was a flying experiment, he was bitten by a radioactive insect. They reveal themselves to the world during the day and disappear behind their alter-egos at night. She never saw him coming, he couldn't stop staring at her. They creep out of their caves at the same time every day, meeting up at the same place to help each other fight the bad in the world.

Neither Spider-Man nor Flight was aware that the kid they always walked past in the school halls, was the hero in front of them. They had their suspicions but never thought about Peter or Y/N being a crime-fighting superhero with supernatural abilities. Not even when they smiled from their lockers, or when Peter dropped his books at her feet-neither of them had any clue it was them.

It was dark out. The sun had recently set, revealing shining stars in the sky, along with the great big moon. A perfect time to be catching criminals with your superhero best friend, whose name you were unaware of. Y/N sighed in content, her H/C hair ruffled in the wind. On top of the same building she flew onto every night, she wondered when her red and blue companion would eventually swing into the frame. Y/N's feet were lifted off the ground, a smile on her lips as she twirled in the air. People would've thought her as a freak - what kind of person could fly, let alone have advanced combat skills, telekinesis and healing powers; which were very useful to Spider-Man's needs.

This girl was experimented on, got stabbed with plenty of needles, forced to do anything supernatural at all, and then escaped. She went out, found a place, went to school and became the friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man's "sidekick". Her name was Flight. Y/N had no idea what she was going to be named and had a complete mind blank, so she resorted to the obvious. Flight. That was who she was. She was Y/N L/N, but she was Flight when nobody could see her.

To Peter, she was Y/N. The girl he thought was so pretty, so brilliant and so kind. At the same time, she was a dork and sat with Michelle, always opposite himself and Ned. He had the biggest crush on her, but she would never know. Peter was scared. But Spider-Man wasn't. But because Peter hid in the shadows and refused to ever talk to her alone, he would never know that Y/N felt the same. Peter only stared at her in awe, stuttered whenever she spoke to him directly and awkwardly smile whenever she caught him gazing from across the room.

But to Spider-Man, Flight was a good friend. Nothing more, nothing less.

All of a sudden, Flight felt a light tap on her back. She set herself back down onto the roof of the building, turning around in her F/C skin-tight costume and half face mask. There stood Spider-Man in all his glory, one hand on his hip and the other just retracting from touching her. Flight nodded as a greeting, high-fiving the boy beneath the suit.

"Evening, Pilot." He called her this everytime they met up. At first, Y/N didn't very much agree with the nickname, however, learnt to grow comfortable with the newfound alias.

"Hey, Web-Slinger. Ready to kick some ass?" she smirked, raising her gloved hand and causing a colourful light to dance through her fingers.

The Spider-boy stared at her hand for a few seconds, before snapping into reality. Flight awaited his response when she forgot about patience and tugged at his arm, pulling him to the corner of the rooftop. Spidey took a glimpse over the edge, his eyes immediately darting over to a lone robber. The man was hesitantly trying to break down the door of a jewellery store, his attempts failing him depressingly.

Flight took humour in this, her head falling back as she laughed. "My God! It must be his first time stealing," she snickered, jumping over the edge and floating beside Spider-Man, watching the robber closely.

"It better be his last," Spidey chuckled, finding amusement in his horrible trial of breaking into the shop. He was about to swing across to tap him on the shoulder and ask how he was doing, when Flight placed a hand over his chest, stopping him.

"We should at least give the poor guy a couple minutes headstart," she said, winking at her partner. His masked eyes twitched with uncertainty. "Oh come on, Spiderling, I just want to watch him fail some more."

He rolled his eyes beneath the mask, obeying the girl. Peter stood there in silence, his eyes glued onto the man who had not given up trying. He cracked a smile at the guy. Y/N, on the other hand, found it utterly hilarious, having to cover her mouth with her hands to stop her from catching the burglar's attention.

Spider-Man peered over at her, feeling unsure. "I don't think we should stay here for long," he spoke.

"What do you mean-"

The sound of windows crashing came from the jewellery store. The man had successfully gotten in and Flight was far too distracted by his failed attempts. Peter laughed, shooting webs from his wrists to get to him, whereas Y/N flew alongside him. She groaned, seeing the stranger filling a bag with glimmering crystals. The robber dropped all he was holding onto the floor when he saw the two of them coming closer towards him, raising his hands in the air for surrender.

Spider-Man met her on the ground, poking her ribs and she jumped. "This is what happens when you get too generous, Pilot."

"Sorry, dad. It was too funny to stop... you have to agree with me there."

•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•

a/n:

I NEED INFINITY WAR TRAILER (slams hand on table) NOW

I AM SO EMOTIONAL RN BUT GODDAMN I NEED THAT INFINITY WAR TRAILER

OKAY HAVE FUN KIDS USE PROTECTION

-l