// peter knows spider-man // pt.1

word count: 1744 
"Peter knows Spider-Man!"

Y/N skipped across the road, her backpack slung over her shoulder lazily. She peered across a few heads and noticed a familiar brunette and a mop of combed black hair, which stood out to her the most. She slowly pushed past a couple who were practically eating each other's faces off, quickening her pace when she neared the two boys. 

The wind blew her H/C hair softly, causing her to flatten her messy hair. Y/N woke up a tad bit too late and had no time to sort her hair out, as usual. This reflected her usual mood during school–grumpy and tired. Sometimes if her best friends were lucky, she'd be fun to be around; only for a few minutes, however. Fortunately, today was a day Y/N was actually happy to wake up to. It was odd.

"–You know what? Whatever. Even if it did hurt, I'd let it bite me," Ned rambled, "M-Maybe. How much did it hurt?"

"The spider's dead, Ned," Peter spoke, irritated. 

Y/N placed two hands on Peter and Ned's shoulders, pushing them apart and standing between them. "What spider? What bite hurts?"

They both jumped in shock, slowly turning towards the shorter girl. She wore a bright smile that was very unusual to see at that time of day, especially being so close to the school. Peter's knees felt wobbly and nearly dropped the stack of books in his hands, though he tried his best to act cool. Peter, being Peter, was never so successful in doing so.

"Where's your bag, Pete?" she asked, taking a book from the top of his pile and flipping through his notes.

"It... broke."

"Of course it did," Y/N teased, placing the book back into his arms.

Ned was about to comment about Peter's spider privileges when his companion shot a glare at him. He nodded, opening his mouth to lie about their previous conversation when Y/N's contagious smile turned into a look of horror and grief. Both boys followed her gaze and gradually stopped walking. All three of them shared the same expression, staring at the burnt down Deli-Grocery, "BEST SANDWICHES IN QUEENS". Police tape surrounded the outside, with policemen walking around to keep people out.

Y/N would usually buy a few sweets for herself after school there, every two days as a treat for surviving school for that long. Mr Delmar grew fond of her, and she grew fond of him. Sometimes Y/N would visit and just chat with him for no reason. He and his cat, 'Murph', held a nice place in her heart. She loved the bodega and to see it in absolute pieces basically killed her.

"Woah," Ned spoke for all three of them, "You were here? You could've died."

Peter flashed a panicked look at him as Y/N snapped her head towards the brunette, confused and even more worried. "You were here?!" she shrieked, shaking his arm.

"I was here b-before it, uh, happened! I promise," Peter stuttered. Y/N stared into his eyes, uncertain, but dropped the topic silently.

She tore her gaze from the building, staring at her shoes. "I hope Mr Delmar and Murph got out okay," Y/N muttered, "I bet Spider-Man saved them. A good dude, he is."

Peter felt colour seeping up from his neck and into his face, Ned smirking. Before Ned could do any damage to his hidden identity, Y/N speed walked away from them and never once looked up to the store. Peter exhaled a heavy breath he didn't know he was holding as Ned leaned into him.

"Do you lay eggs?"

"What? No!"

•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•·.·''·.·•