Chapter 9

The weekend has gone by fast and now it's Monday, I've gone all week avoiding Riley and I feel bad because we spent a nice time together at the cliff last week, but it's for my own good; I can't let myself catch feelings for him he would break my heart, he's a player and they don't change for just anyone. So currently, I'm in Mrs. Swatten's science class, and unfortunately I share this class with Riley.

"So Class, today we will be starting a simple project with partners."

Everyone cheers, but Mrs. Swatten holds her hand up silencing us.

"I'm choosing your partners. Settle down." People groan in protest, while I just listen for my name.

"....Carter Kaloki and Riley Mantings."

Oh the irony, I would get partnered with the one I'm trying to avoid. I make no move to get up and Riley walks to my desk and pulls up a chair.

"I haven't seen you around much Kaloki, avoiding me?"

Oh no, I'm just looking everywhere for you.

Stupid blue eyes.

Stupid dimples.

Stupid soft hair.

Stupid cute smile.

"Kaloki?" He snaps his fingers in my face and I look at him.

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering if you wanted, to go to the orphanage today?"

I think back to the sweet lady Harper, and all the kids. I've really enjoyed the day we went to see them, the kids all deserve homes and loving families.

"Sure." I smile looking at his blushing face.

"Thank you, Sam and Kara wouldn't stop asking about you."

I laugh, "It's okay, I want to see them, they're great."

Way to avoid him, Carter.
***
"So you and Riley huh?" Kara says as I brush her hair. Riley and I came to the orphanage around an hour ago and I was now in Kara's shared room, talking with her. "What?" I say mid-brush.

"He's a great boyfriend right?"

Damn way to make a girl blush.

"H-he's not my b-boyfriend." I stutter. Looking at her shiny hair.

"Your stutter says otherwise."

"What?! He's really not Kara."

"Whyyyy." She whines.

"I don't know, Kara. He has lots of girls he doesn't have time for me."

"There's this look in his eyes though."

Bradley and Maddie say this too, what do they mean?

"What look?"

"Like your his everything, and you could disappear any second."

"No way."

"Yes way."

I sigh continuing to brush her hair, he doesn't look at me like that, he belongs with girls like Bethany no matter how much of a b!tch she is. He doesn't look at me like that, I'm average with my lifeless green eyes, and brown hair. Bethany has lively blue eyes, and beach blonde hair they look perfect together, I don't belong in the picture, I never will.
***
The drive home was pretty uneventful, at the orphanage I finished talking with Kara, and played with the adorable Sam. Now, it was uncomfortable silence. "Are you going to tell me, what's up? You've been all distant lately."

His voice interrupts the silence. Am I going to tell him what's up?

Heck no, what's up is that I like him and it's toying the hell out of my brain.

"Nothing's wrong Riley." I mumble looking out the window.

"You must think I'm stupid, if you expect me to believe that, Carter." He snaps looking at me briefly, then looking back at the road.

"Nothing's wrong Riley." I snap back, slightly glaring at him.

"Are you seriously doing this, I'm concerned, and your being-" He stops.

"Being what? What Riley? A b!tch?" He clenches his jaw, and I hate myself for thinking it's hot.

"You know that's not what I was going to say." he says.

"Well then, Riley fücking enlighten me."

"You know what? I take that back you are being a b!tch."

I blink back tears. I don't know why I feel so hurt by his words it's true, I am. I can't even admit my feelings for him. But somehow it hurts worse hearing it from him.

"And your being such an asshole." I never been happier to see my house in my entire life.

"You know what? I don't think I wanna associate with someone who only pushes people away."

Just put me out of my misery, I don't think my heart can take anymore. 

"Fine, your being a jerk anyways."

"Fine."

"Fine!"

"Good."

I laugh as tears fall down my face, I'm on the brink of insanity.

"Fücking, great Riley."

I swear as he drove away I saw a tear.

How can this hurt so badly he's not even my boyfriend?

Oh wait, you want him to be.
***
Thanks! For reading Love you guys! Comment! Vote! All that! Till next time.