Royal!Nico x Commoner!Reader

Requested by: @CheshirePeace

You tried to hide your grin when your aunt shrieked at you as you walked in the house.

"(Y/n)! Again?! Why do you do this to me?"

"Sorry, Aunt Linda." You smiled sheepishly down at your clothes caked in mud. You'd borrowed some of your brother's old clothes (which wasn't hard since they're all old) and strolled through town. Most people thought you were a poor boy running through town, so they didn't pay you much attention, as usual. Sometimes you managed to sneak some fruit from a vendor or some money from unsuspecting people. There's a street full of people selling food and jewelry and other stuff from their stalls, and the street is full of people at the right time in the afternoon. That's when you stroll through the street, stuffing your pants pockets.

But today was definitely different.

Earlier Today

You wormed through the crowd towards a display of fresh (fav.fruit). As you got closer to the delicious sight, someone grabbed your shoulder. You were pulled into an alley between two homes and pinned against the wall. You hoped the residents of one of the homes would come out, but they were probably out doing their afternoon shopping down the busy street you just left. Besides, even if they saw you, they'd leave this alone anyway. They'd just see it as some boys messing around. Even though you're a girl.

Oh, right, back to what was happening.

You were face to face with John and Joseph. Long story short, you took some of their 'pickings' the other day, which included a very expensive necklace.

"Well, if it isn't (y/n), the girl with the weird obsession to be a boy."

"I don't want to be a boy, it's just easier to get around this way."

John rips off the hat that hides your hair and throws it in a nearby puddle. "Where's the necklace?"

"What necklace?" You stand discretely ready to fight.

He pins you tight to the wall by holding your throat.

"Where. Is. The. Necklace."

"I sold it," you choke out.

"WHAT?!"

"Isn't that what you planned to do anyway?"

"The point was that I would get the money from selling it! How much did you get?"

"100."

"Liar. That was a very expensive necklace."

"200."

"You're lying!"

"No, I'm not! I swear"

"I'm only going to say this one more time. How much --"

You bring up your knee to where it hurts, making him drop you. You turn and sprint down the alley, grabbing your soaked hat on the way. You rush out into the crowd, not looking back at the boys who followed you.

Yes, they are in a similar position as you. They have to steal food and money. But this is real life. You aren't going to become their best buddy and share; you have to look out for yourself. They look out for themselves. They've  stolen from you, you've stolen from them. It's just how it works.

You sprint down the street, soon finding yourself in a run down neighborhood with fewer people and dirt streets. A couple more blocks, and you'd be home.

Just as you round a corner, you skid to a stop. Joseph. You turn to run, but are blocked by John. You take a chance at running around him, but he trips you face first into a mud puddle. It just had to rain earlier, didn't it? Now you're caked in mud and dripping muddy water.