Ballads and Piggybacks

"I found this really cool place that makes giant pancakes!" Carson yells, running down the stairs.

I quickly break out of Vincent's embrace and roll away as fast as I could. Thud. The hardwood floor slipped my mind, and my shoulder had to break my fall. Luckily, the bed was fairly low, so it's not broken, but definitely is going to bruise later. 

"Oh, shit. You okay, Wendy?" Carson comes and helps me up.

Vincent starts to wake up from the commotion, flipping the blanket so that it reveals his naked torso. He uses one hand to ruffle his hair and the other to stretch.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just not a morning person." I flash Carson an awkward grin before going to rummage through my clothes. My mind is in disarray, so I randomly grab a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Since I have no sense of fashion, most of my clothes combinations are basic and so my outfits turn out acceptable for casual wear. Within a flash, I'm in and out of the bathroom, changed, teeth brushed, face washed, and hair sort of brushed. Since I'm using the hallways bathroom, which the boys are using, there isn't much of a wait. At Vivian's house, the morning after sleepovers, I have to strategically wait until one of my friend pulls away from the mirror with their mascara wand to spit out my toothpaste.

I wait downstairs with Carson while the others get ready. He sits at the kitchen table, tapping away at his phone to find places and things to do. I munch on some of the leftover pizza since I'm too impatient and hungry to wait for Olivia and Evelyn to help Vivian pick out an outfit that would catch Vincent's attention and admiration. The pizza tastes a little stale while I think about it.

"What does Vivian like?" Carson leans over the table so his face is close to mine. He asks in a soft whisper.

"Huh? I don't know. That's a little broad," I reply.

"Fine, does she like carnivals?"

"I guess. She needs something thrilling though because she's rarely scared. Don't expect to get the chance to play her knight in shining armor," I tease.

Carson eyes widen when he realizes I've read his mind. He goes back to his phone with and releases a frustrated groan.

A head dips down over my shoulder and towards the right hand that I'm holding a bite of pizza left with. I see Vincent's dark locks sweep past me, leaving a lingering scent of pine behind in front of my nose. I feel the pizza leaving my grip, followed by a soft brush of his lips against the pads my index and thumb. Vincent lifts his head up, chewing happily on the pizza he stole from me. I'm not sure how to respond, and tried to casually finish my meal by licking the remnants of scales and cheese grease off my fingers. I stop once my the thumb is against my bottom lip. Vincent's lips were on my thumb, and now my thumb is on my lip. Is this an indirect kiss? It's not right? Why am I thinking about this? Why would this matter? Vincent looks intently at me for a response since I have a perplexed look on my face.

"Oh, sorry. I forgot I was sick yesterday," he shyly looks away, thinking that I was grossed out by his germs.

"Oh no. If I was worried I wouldn't have let you hug-" I stop once I realized Carson was still sitting there. Luckily, he seems too occupied with his phone.  "Anyways, you look a lot better." I instinctively stand up and reach for his forehead. The back of my hand stays on his forehead for ten seconds, my hand tingles and I can't even tell the temperature of his head. His eyes meet mine for a few seconds before I quickly retract my arm. "Let's get breakfast," I suggest in a voice that made me seem like I lost my breath. I think I did for a second.

"Sure," Vincent replies in the same voice, breathy and short.

Vivian comes down the stairs and steps in front of Vincent, cutting the thick, almost palpable air between us.