Not a Friend

Ever since the truth or dare incident, I've been staying alone at the hotel room. I wake up before anyone else since I've been going to bed before the sun even sets, but I pretend to be asleep and no one bothers to wake me up. Once everyone leaves for whatever they planned for the day, I would walk outside to get some food, maybe go to some souvenir shops to stare at keychains and coffee mugs before going back and falling asleep to a movie. How I ended up spending half of my vacation alone when I came with a group of people, the world may never know. I must have a special skill that gives me the ability to be an outcast in every situation. Not a very fun or cool superpower to have if you ask me, but practical since I'm so introverted.

After spending six nights, we packed up on Saturday to drive back. Ironically, during the whole trip in the mountains, we never went to hike any. So, Carson, who's driving this time, makes a stop at a trail so we can hike it before we have to drive back home. I was planning to sit in the car, but it was hot and sitting in a vehicle would be the equivalent of baking yourself. Reluctantly, I joined the group on the trail, but I kept my distance, walking far behind. Sometimes, they would leave my line of sight since the path was winding with large trees and wild plants growing off to the side.m

My stomach was empty, since I didn't get the chance to eat. Plus, sitting in bed for most of the past three days wasn't exactly training me for the extreme trek up the incline of the mountains. In all honesty, I didn't have to make the effort to trail behind the others, since my lack of physical athleticism was doing all the work for me.

My lack of care and exhaustion causes my foot to slide from a loose rock. My shin starts to graze against the gravel of the path, but two arms swoop around waist and stops my fall. I didn't have to look up to know it's Vincent. His arms were starting to feel so distinct and familiar at this point.

"Of course you would trip over a pebble," he sighs. I'm more so relieved that Vincent isn't mad about the other day than that my legs weren't scraped.

"Thanks." I break from his hold and his arms fall gently to his sides. We start to walk again, but Vincent stays at my pace, while the others slowly disappear from our line of sight.

I take a quick glance at Vincent before talking. "I'm sorry about what happened during truth or dare," I apologize, my breath slightly shaky.

"It's fine. Whatever Evelyn made didn't actually taste that bad."

"Is Vivian upset with you?"

"Why do we always talk about Vivian in every conversation we have?" Vincent asks in an annoyed and irritated tone. He must've saw that I was taken back, and softened his voice. "It's okay for you to be selfish sometimes."

"What does Vivian have to do with me being selfish?"

"All you ever care about are grades and whatever Vivian wants, what she feels, what she does."

"I care about her. That's what friends do."

"Friends care about each other. Your friendship seems one-sided."

"That's not true!" Tears well up in my eyes a bit and I stare down. "Vivian could be friends with anyone. She didn't care about if people made fun of her for being friends with a loser like me."

"She takes you for granted. You do that to yourself too."

"She's nice to me. As a friend, I do the same and I care about her."