Pillow

Being so erratic, the weather quickly brought the blizzard as fast as it melted it. The feet of snow were quickly being reduced by the cooperation of the hot sun and shoveling. I ditched my coat and left the hotel with only my knitted sweater. The boys were much more daring, wearing only t-shirts.

"What if it gets colder later?" I warn Vincent, walking alongside him as the others stride ahead.

"Sucks for me then," Vincent shrugs.

"You need to get into the habit of bringing a light sweater at least.

"I'm not trying to nag you. It's only because I'm worried about you-." I stop before making any more abrupt confessions. Vincent seems to find it amusing and slings his arm over my shoulder, nudging me forward.

"I know," Vincent finally replies.

By popular vote, we go back to the doughnut shop since Carson, Luke, and Logan didn't think yesterday's amount was enough. This time, they each get a dozen to eat and take back. Vincent and I settle for a pizza from the shop next door, which we shared. As expected, the donuts cause a food coma, so they retreat to go see a movie. Since Vincent and I already watched it (well, I watched a good ten seconds of it), we opt to walk around the mall instead.

"You didn't go here yet, right?"

"Nope," I reply

"Oh, yeah. Cause I got sick. Sorry."

"No, I didn't mind it."

"Why didn't you just go?" Vincent asks as if he's expecting a cartoon answer. Hoping for something.

"I...was freaked out who sick you are. Someone tough like you barely moving made me think you were dying."

"So you were worried?"

"Look! A pet store!" My excitement was partly genuine and partly was to change the subject. It worked since Vincent doesn't mention our conversation anymore.

"Want to look inside?"

"Do you think they have stuff for turtles?"

"Why? Do you need to buy something for Wilbur?" The fact that Vincent bothers to remember my turtle's name makes my heart flutter a bit. Sometimes, even my friend forget.

"Yeah, I need to get him a Christmas present."

"A present for your turtle?"

"Yep."

"Okay," Vincent just shrugs it off, used to my abnormalities by now.

I immediately head for the reptile section, while Vincent hangs around a pen of bunnies. A puppy excitedly jumps and barks, drawing Vincent's attention. He goes to pet it, and I catch myself admiring how gentle and cute he looks. I'm going crazy.

It wouldn't make sense to buy Wilbur a house since he wears his. I could get him a new water bowl, but that's boring. Not like Wilbur would notice the change. Instead, I buy a pricy platform made with wood for Wilbur to climb. If he's anything like me, he won't ever use it.

"Hi, anything I can help you with?" The store worker addresses Vincent while he busily plays with the puppy that's in a glass pen.