Pain

Eridan was walking back towards the sea to get back to his hive. He couldn't believe that Karkat had never learned to swim. It seemed very natural and easy, but that was probably just because he was a sea dweller.

Eridan swam deep into the sea and reached his hive. He set his stuff down and walked into his room. Eridan laid down on his large bed, and drifted to sleep. He wanted to see Karkat again, but he had just left his side.

Eridan had no idea he would make a friend on his first day attending a land dweller school. Especially someone as interesting as Karkat.
~~~~

The next Monday, Eridan walked into his first period. He didn't have Karkat in this class. Instead, there were tons if jocks and bullies. Eridan kept a low profile wherever he went, and it caused him to get more attention somehow. He thought people would just ignore him, but that's not the case here.

Eridan sat in his seat in the back corner. He hated this class, so he stayed as far away as people as possible. The teacher began the lesson, and soon asked a question. Eridan didn't raise his hand, for he didn't choose to participate in crappy classes.

"Hey," yelled one of the jocks, "maybe Eridumb will know." Eridan cringed as the class laughed. He really wanted to say something, but just tried to shut them out. It didn't work.

"Hey Eridumb, can you hear us?" The jocks continued. "I'd expect so, with those big ears of yours." The class laughed even more. Eridan bit his lip and looked down. The teacher scolded the bullies and continued her lesson. The bell rang, and Eridan stood to leave. As he walked out the door, he felt something step on his cape and he tripped into the hall.

Eridan gathered his things and tried not to seem hurt. He turned to see a group of about 7 jocks in front of him, lightly laughing. 'Great,' Eridan thought, 'this isn't gonna end well for me.'

"Get up, Ampora." Eridan looked at the jock who had said that, and stood leaving his things on the ground.

"Good little fish does what he's told," one of the jocks said. Eridan was clenching his fists. He realized they had circled around him, and he couldn't get out. He sighed and looked at the last jock who spoke.

"Well, you realize I would have stood anyways." The jock shoved him into the wall and held him there. Eridan was frightened, but didn't let it show. Eridan was tall, but this person was taller.

"Listen shrimp. I could care less about you. I told you to stand, and you did." The jock punched Eridan across the face, and Eridan fell to the ground. He was lying on his side, his legs curling closer to his stomach. The other jocks began kicking him in the back and legs. Eridan felt them kick through his skin, and felt them stop abruptly.

Eridan looked up, seeing what they saw. Eridan's blood-they had no clue he was royalty. Eridan stood shakily, bruised and beaten. He leaned against a wall for support.

"A...highblood," one if them said. They scattered in different directions. Eridan tried to walk, but fell to the ground again.

"Eridan?" Eridan heard Karkats voice, but couldn't respond. He just tried to extend his hand and motion he was in need of help. Karkat ran over to him and saw him bleeding.

"You're...a high blood?" Karkat was obviously confused. Eridan felt his body being picked up and layed onto Karkats lap.

"Yeah... I'm a sea dweller. Most of us are..." Eridan closed his eyes and let out a sigh.

Karkat held him until the nurse was notified and came to help him. Eridan was taken away from Karkat. He blacked out.