Chapter 12

*Demi's POV*

"Please?" I sighed.

"Please, talk to me?" I repeated.

I'm getting frustrated. Mariana hasn't talked to me since we've left my parents house. We're on the private jet and she won't even go to sleep. She sits by the window and every once in a while she'll wipe her tears. I've tried to sit next to her, but she'd move each time.

I stomped to the back of the private jet and joined Max who was sitting in a chair reading the newspaper. I laughed at the sight. "Max, who reads newspapers anymore?" I said. He rolled his eyes and took off his glasses.

I plopped down on the nearest chair and laid across it. "Max? She won't even talk to me!" I whined. He sighed and came closer to me. "Demi, she's a teenager. There's going to be moments that she's not going to talk. Give her some time. She loves you and you know it." He said. I shrugged.

Is it bad that I don't think that she loves me? Sure, she's been nicer lately and she's been smiling, but she never assures me that she loves me. I don't blame her though, she needs time. I can't expect her to love me right away. I guess I'll just have to give her some space right now.

I quickly drifted off to sleep before having to get back up to prepare for landing. Besides the fact that I usually have to wake up on flights, I love flying the private jet. It's just that I hate to be woken up. I yawned my way through the plane to the seats. I took a seat next to Mariana who was giving me a death glare while I put on my seatbelt.

"Damn, what did I do?" I said laughing, but just like any other thing I said, she ignored it. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even realize that we had landed. It didn't take long to begin the ride home, but it sure was a long ride. A long and silent one too.

Max ended up carrying our luggage into the house after I begged him for five minutes straight. I ran down the stairs and over to the couch and sighed. "Home! At last!" I said laughing. Max sat down on the other couch across while I began watching t.v.

Mariana appeared in the doorway to the living room and she seemed as if she were crying. But, the expression on her face was stone cold. She walked near Max and I and tried going to the other couch, but I reached out my arms and pulled on to my lap.

"Get off of me." She spat. I released my arms immediately and allowed her to leave. She stood in front of me and allowed a tear to slip from her eye. In that moment, I wanted to hug her tightly because I can't stand to see her pretty face crying. "Baby, what's wrong?" I said. I was almost in tears.

"I don't want to stay here anymore, Demetria. Please, take me back to the adoption center. It's better living there than living here with you." She said. As of right now, I don't know what's going on, but the heart that I use to love, is broken. I put my face in my hands and wiped my tears.

"You don't mean that. I can't do that! I'd be neglecting you. I love you!" I said sobbing. Max laid his hands on my shoulders from behind me and offered me a box of tissues that I gladly took. "I don't want to be here! Take me back! I hate you and this house." She said. After that, she stormed out of the door which I assumed had meant that she'd wanted to leave.

I stood up only to collapse into Max's arms that were in front of me. I cried into his shoulder while he guided me towards the door. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but something isn't right.

Max grabbed the keys from my hand and started the car. I sat in the back along with Mariana, but she was so distant. The tension in the air was so thick that you could cut it with a knife if you wanted to.

I told Max to go to an adoption center that was nicer than the one that she had been taken to. I don't know why I'm doing this, but the look in her eyes felt as if she was desperate to leave. I can't make her stay if she doesn't want to.

Max stopped the car in front of a building that looked like it could be a hotel. I'm starting to think that this is the best thing that I can do for Mariana. I mean, at this orphanage you have to pay monthly, but I don't mind at all.

Mariana reached for the car door as soon as Max stopped. I opened my door and ran after her before she could enter the orphanage. I grabbed her arm and she didn't stop. "You don't have to do this, Mariana! I love you!" I said trying not to let the sobs control my voice.

"Well, I-I hate you." She said emotionless and left through the doors. I fell to my knees as soon as she walked through the door and closed it behind her. It's insane how somebody you love can just walk away from you so easily.

"Demi, I think it's better that we leave." Max said as he picked me up into his arms. Usually I'd hit him for doing this, but Mariana just left me... what am I supposed to do? He placed me in the front seat of the car next to him and began to drive.

I quickly pressed my mom's phone number and dialed. It didn't take long for her to answer.

"Are you happy? She's back at the orphanage. All of a sudden, she wanted to go back. She said that she hates me!" I cried into the phone. I quickly pulled myself together when I heard my mother's laugh on the other side of the call.

"I'm glad she did as told." She said. I gasped.

"Mom? You knew? Tell me everything." I snapped. She kept laughing as if it were some kind of joke. Now, I'm glad that I'm not near her or else it would have gotten physical.

"Demetria, don't be mad with me. I knew that she'd fuck up your recovery. You should be thanking me! The sick girl even cuts herself." She said.

I scoffed, "I was once upon a time that 'sick' girl. Trust me, I can handle Mariana. It doesn't matter whether she self-harms or not. I'm always going to love her and she's always going to be mine." I said. I can't believe she self-harms. I mean, I knew about the eating disorder, but not about that. I'm so stupid for not noticing.

Before I knew it, Max swerved the car around and went back in the direction of the orphanage. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him.

"Demi, what's that?" My mom said worriedly.

I smirked, "The sound of me getting my baby girl back." And with that, I hung up the phone. I knew something was wrong, but I wouldn't have thought my own mother would be the reason she felt like she needed to leave.

I need my baby girl. And, she's staying.

{A/N- I'm sorry for not updating as much lately! I haven't been able to between school and the shit ton of irrelevant homework they give to me. I'll try and update more. I'm in the middle of a writing session, so I'll have multiple chapters ready to release over the next two weeks. I love you, Stay Strong.
~hermosaddlovato}