Chapter 16

*Demi's POV*

It's not every day that I have the hope to actually cook something right one day. I woke up and made my way to the kitchen, and grabbed the pancake mix from the cabinet. It's the least I could do.

I smiled and adored the batter I had created. It's the best so far. I grabbed a pan and placed it on the stove, making it immediately cook. I decided to go upstairs and then quickly remembered that I had forgotten my phone on the table.

"Shit." I mumbled, making my way back downstairs to retrieve my phone. As I reached the table just outside of the kitchen, I noticed that it was abnormally warm. It was so hot that I had to take off my jacket and place it on the chair. I looked to my right and I completely lost it.

"Fuck!" I screamed grabbing my phone. No fire extinguisher can fix this mess.

I quickly ran up the stairs, nearly busting my ass on the way to Mariana's room. "Baby, you have to get up!" I screamed, but she was in too deep of a sleep. I grabbed her with the covers still surrounding her, picked her up, and ran down the stairs and out of the door with her.

I sat her down inside of the car that was parked in front of the driveway. I heard sirens coming down the street and thanked the Lord that I didn't have to call. I met the firefighters as they were going inside of my house.

"Stay back, Demi." I nodded, a bit embarrassed that they knew my name. I backed up and waited until they met me back outside after the fire was put out.

"Wow. Worst fire that you've started yet, Demi. I still don't know how you do it." A handsome firefighter said to me. I wasn't even offended, I was too busy looking at his perfectly aligned white teeth and hi- "Are you Demetria Devonne Lovato?" I felt someone tap on my shoulder.

I turned around and met a woman dressed in a business suit and a briefcase tightly being held in her hands. "I'm Diane and I'm a social worker. I'm going to have to remove Mariana Torr-" She began, but I interrupted her. "Lovato!" I said clearly pissed off. "Excuse me, Mariana Lovato. I'm going to have to remove her from the household." She said.

I looked around and sighed. "Why? Why can't my daughter and I have peace? Do I have to get my lawyer involved?" I asked,  frustrated. Diana replied, "Since you dropped Mariana off at the adoption center and gave her up, you technically never adopted her again. She's no longer your daughter anymore."

Fuck, everything is always because of me.

"I'll come and adopt her right now! Come on, field trip!" I said moving towards my car, but she took a hold of my shoulder. "No, Demetria. Please don't make this harder than it already is." She said softly. Although, I really don't care how she says it because if she doesn't give me my daughter we're going to have problems.

"Well,  then fuck you! Let me adopt her, why can't I adopt her?" I said, ready to choke Diana any second now.

"Because someone already adopted her." She spat at me.

I don't know what just happened, but now all of a sudden I have the overwhelming urge to cry. I know I can't though because I heard Mariana walk behind me and listen to the whole conversation. If I cry, then she will most definitely cry.

I turned around and smiled at Mariana even though I knew that my world would be changing. Call me dramatic if you want to, but I love this girl. I noticed the tears in her eyes, but I have to stay strong.

"I love you, baby girl." I said. She nodded and wiped her tears before throwing herself into my arms. I never knew that she would have it in her to act this way. She always acts tougher than she actually is.

"Baby, don't cry." I said as I rubbed her back. She released herself and wiped her eyes. "I'll get you back. I always will." I said. She smiled and held my hand as we went to go and gather some of her clothing and belongings. 

After we were finished, she walked over to Diana who had a dirty look on her face and turned back around to me. "I love you, Mom" She said smiling and blowing a kiss. I smiled and almost shed a tear. "No, I love you more." I said.

Diana turned them both around and headed back to her car. I, on the other hand, left and went inside of my house and sat on the half of the couch that wasn't burnt. I thought to myself and began to sob.

I burnt the downstairs of my house down and I lost my baby girl? I'm a fucking mess. I lifted myself up and dragged myself upstairs to the studio. I wiped my tears and drank some water that was near the recording booth. I slipped on my headphones and began to record.

I can't sleep tonight

Wide awake and so confused

Everything's in line

But I am bruised

I need a voice to echo

I need a light to take me home

I kinda need a hero

Is it you?

I wrote this song a while back after I dumped Wilmer. Thinking back, I was so fragile and weak without him, but Mariana filled his space. No, she's not a replacement. She's my baby girl. I almost wish that I birthed her out of my vagina so that I could be even closer to her, but who's trying to go through that?

I quietly sobbed pulling my knees to my chest as I thought about Mariana.

"Demi, what's wrong?" I heard a familiar voice say as they took of my headphones. I realized that it was Nick. He sat down next to me and pulled me into his lap, hugging me tight. I shook my head and stayed silent.

He sighed. "I'm your best friend. You can tell me anything, and you know that." He said. It's true, he is my best friend. "She's gone, Nick. Mariana is gone." I said as my voice cracked nearing the end.

He didn't say anything. He just held me, and that's all I ever wanted.

After a while, he spoke up. "Let me play something for you." Nick said as he sat me down on the piano so that I was facing him.

Cause if I want you, and I want you, babe

Ain't going backwards, won't ask for space

Cause space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too

Close, oh

And, in that moment he stopped playing. He looked me in the eyes and he stood up in front of me. He leaned in and so did I and it felt like nothing I've experienced in the past. It was a good thing.

Although I wasn't focusing on anything besides the kiss, I couldn't help but notice the flowers that were being thrown in our direction or the angry Wilmer that had stormed out of the room.

I pulled away from Nick and walked towards the stairs to see Wilmer on his way out.

"Why the fuck were you kissing him?" He screamed.

"Maybe, because I'm single?" I said.

"I didn't think you'd move on so fast!" He exclaimed. I laughed. But, it was more of 'I'm pissed off' kind of laugh.

"And I didn't think that you'd leave so fast, but you did!" I yelled back. All he did was stare. "Wilmer, get the fuck out of my house. You can't expect me to fall back into your arms after you disrespected me and my daughter." I sighed.

"Well, it seems as if your daughter isn't your daughter anymore." He said.

I stayed quiet. He snickered, turned around, and slammed the front door.

I guess some things are better left unsaid.

A/N- I finally updated, I'm sorry. I hope you liked it xx

Thoughts; Nemi?

:)