Chapter 28

*Mariana's POV*

"Wake up, baby girl. It's time for you to go to school." Demi said, excited. I don't understand how this woman is always so excited in the morning.

I sighed, but I got up. I grabbed a towel and some body wash before heading into Demi's bathroom. I don't know why Demi and I haven't just switched rooms, because I love her bathroom and she loves mine.

After 50 minutes of getting ready for school, Demi finally shouted, "Hurry up, beautiful. Breakfast is getting cold, and you're going to be late. You don't want to make a bad first impression!"

I hurried downstairs before Demi had a heart attack

I hurried downstairs before Demi had a heart attack. I sat down across from her as she stared at me to eat some of my food, and for once I didn't make her beg me. I ate half of the fruit she gave me and I even ate part of a croissant. I think that's something called progress.

"Baby girl, I'm proud of you." Demi said, drinking some of her coffee.

"So, who'd you have sex with last night?" I asked. Demi spit her coffee out, "Hey! You almost got that on my outfit!" I smirked.

"How'd you know that I-" Demi started, "Demi, you're the loudest person I've ever heard in my entire life." I interrupted, making her laugh.

"It was- Nick." She said hesitantly, I sighed.

"Mom, Nick left you. I know it's not my place to tell you who to fuck and who not to, but make sure that whoever you date, treats you right. You don't deserve to be treated the way you are. But, that's enough of hearing me talk. Stay safe, use condoms even though you are pregnant." I said, making her laugh at me even more.

"God, I love you baby girl." Demi said kissing my forehead as she handed me my lunch.

I grabbed my bag and made my way to a school I'm more than sure I'm going to hate. I made her buy me headphones so that I didn't have to deal with anyone, or hear anyone unnecessarily speak to me.

As we arrived at school, I groaned, and plugged my headphones into my phone. "I love you, baby girl. You'll be fine. I know they'll love you just as much as I love you. Have a good day." Demi said, as she kissed my forehead. I smiled and opened the door and made my way to the gates of hell.

As I walked in, I received stares from many other kids. I rolled my eyes and made my way to my first class. I already had a tour of the school, so I'm pretty comfortable roaming around.

I noticed that only the teacher was in there, so I turned up my music and made my way to the seat in the back. I scrolled through Instagram for a while before I noticed that the class had began to fill.

I took off my headphones and felt someone tap me, followed by a, "You know you're in my seat, right? But, I let pretty girls sit here occasionally." I heard a guy voice say. I rolled my eyes, but then my eyes met his, and I felt some sort of connection.

He winked at me and then sat behind me.

"Good morning class, we have a new student today. Could you please stand and tell us about yourself?" The teacher asked, and then all eyes laid on me. "Go ahead, gorgeous." The guy from behind me said, making me smile.

"Hi, I'm Mariana Lovato, I'm 15 years old and I just transferred here from the other high school in this area." I said before sinking into my seat. I didn't like that. Now everyone's going to think that I'm weird.

I felt the guy behind me tap my shoulder and a note fly onto my desk.

Meet me in the courtyard at lunch.

I nodded my head and began to pay attention. I can't afford to start off bad in this school.

Before I knew it, lunch came and I found myself walking towards the guy from class earlier in the courtyard. I smiled as he came running over to approach me.

"Hey, I'm Tate." He said with his deep voice. I couldn't help but smile, he seemed so nervous.

"I'm Mariana, but you already knew that." I said, moving my hair from out of my face.

He smiled again, but suddenly his smile fainted. He looked worried, "Don't be alarmed, but my ex girlfriend is coming towards us, and she's kind of crazy, so don't say anything." He warned me.

I couldn't help myself but to turn around, and that was a true mistake.

"Mariana, is that you?" Tate's ex said. I rolled my eyes and moved behind Tate, in hopes that he'd protect me.

"Go away. She doesn't want to talk to you." Tate said as he hid me behind him.

"She hasn't told you yet? I know your little friend Mariana there. We go way back. Isn't that right?" She smirked. I grabbed Tate out of fear, because she wouldn't stop coming near us. Wow, what a way to ruin something with a cute guy.

"Jessica, leave her alone." Tate spoke.

That's right. Jessica. The one from my old school that used to bully me and beat me up? Yes, that's her. I creeped from around Tate to view the hatred in her eyes.

"Didn't she tell you about how we used to go to the same high school before this one? If not, then what about her eating disorder? Or that she cuts herself." Jessica spilled. I felt like crying, and that's exactly what I did.

"Jessica, leave! Damn it, leave!" Tate shouted, scaring Jessica and I both.

Jessica laughed and turned around before going back inside of the school. Tate turned around and grabbed my hands before wiping my tears. "Is it true?" He asked, before sitting me down in the grass next to him.

I didn't say anything, but he reached for my sleeves, and I didn't bother stopping him. As he uncovered the scars, he felt sad for me. I could tell. "Don't feel sad for me-" I began, but he told me to stop talking.

Before I knew it, he let go of my hands and took off his football jacket. He rolled up his long sleeved shirt and showed me cuts that looked identical to mine. "We're in this together." He whispered, before holding me in his arms.

Who would've known that this is how my first day would turn out. Tate gave me his number and told me to call him later.

The rest of the day went by painfully slow, but I didn't run into Jessica again.

I found Demi's car. It was easy to find her, she was the only one blasting Cardi B's music. I laughed and opened the car door. "How was the first day?" Demi asked, but I didn't maintain my laugh for too much longer before I broke down into her arms crying.

Demi comforted me before taking us home and setting up movies and dinner on the couch.

"Baby girl, I had no idea that she was going to be there, I can transfer you." Demi offered.

"No. I met someone today." I said, as a smile came to my face.

"Who has you smiling so hard?" Demi said, laughing.

"There's this guy, Tate. I met him this morning, I sat in his seat. But, he didn't mind. He told me to meet him in the courtyard for lunch and Jessica came in and spilled my secrets. He saw my cuts, and he showed me his." I said, a tear falling down my face.

Demi hugged me, "And you know the best part? He told me that we're in this together. And you know the worst part? I believe him, Mom. I believe him. And I think I want to." I cried into her chest.

"I love you." She said as I fell asleep on her chest, where I felt at home.