02: Summer to-do

Chapter Two - Summer to-do

-

Shrugging my shorts off, they fall to the hot concrete before I begin to straighten out my new yellow bikini bottoms. I was nervous about buying new bikinis this summer but I think I really like this one on me.

"Jesus," Niyah speaks from the pool and I look over to her with furrowed brows as she stares at me with an astonished look. It brings Norah's attention to me as well.

"What?" I ask, suddenly feeling insecure of my pale body. It hasn't seen sun like this since last summer. The twins had just opened their pool up for this summer and we decided to be the first ones to test it out like always.

"Your body is bodying," Niyah says and I glance down at my figure, which causes my cheeks to slightly sting.

"Thanks, I worked hard on it," I joke but in reality I'd not done a thing. I didn't look like this last year. I'd had chubby cheeks like a child and no curves. But at the beginning of the year my stomach flattened out and I grew a little bubble butt. Mom says I'm a late bloomer into my body.

"Yeah, Lyd, you look good," Norah then adds, both of their eyes boring into me. I'm flattered.

"I'm surprised because all I've been eating are those microwaveable pizzas for the past like two weeks." I move a piece of strawberry blonde hair away from my face before moving to put it up in a pony tail.

I'd been nervous to buy new swim suits. Sometime at the beginning of the year I went from an A cup to a B that now can project some cleavage when pushed together in the right angle. I got taller, which made me longer so I had to quite literally buy all new pants because all of them were somehow high waters on me now.

It's quiet as I watch the trees blow from the heated breeze. It's late April but the air is warmer than usual and so I have a feeling we're going to have a hot summer. The thought of summer nearing excites me and soon we can start checking off our summer to-do list as we go. I'm hoping we stick to it this time. Summer last year wasn't boring but if we would have stuck to our list, we would've had more to do.

I open my phone and look over the list in my notes. I'd made it when I was bored and done early with my work in Math.

beach
boating — (maybe fishing if everyone's up for it)
skinny dip in twin's pool
bowling
putt putt !!
fair on Juneteenth
hiking
norah and maybe lyd's first drinks
maybe go all the way with—

"Where's Nick?" Niyah interrupts my thoughts.

"He's having lunch with his grandparents," I tell her, lying my phone down on my stomach to fix the padding in my top.

He and I have been texting on and off all day, which makes me miss him but I know he's spending time with his family, so I won't let myself be the clingy girlfriend who presses him to text me back every minute.

Then I feel my phone vibrate and hurry to pick it up.

But it's not Nick. It's Dylan.

DYL<3
hey there strawberry

hiiii wyd