12: Walking on a Dream

Chapter Twelve - Walking on a Dream

Dylan and I wake up to his phone vibrating underneath the pillow. He groans and untangles from our cuddling position, the warmth already escaping as he reaches for it. I stare at the flexing muscles in his back as he does so and lick my lips.

Last night after our happenings, we didn't really discuss it but it didn't feel awkward or off at all. It still just felt like normal Lyd and Dyl. And I was beyond glad nothing felt different. Just our obvious attraction towards one another.

I decide to check my phone for any missed messages or calls as well. The only texts I have are from the girls recapping the night to me since Dyl and I had left earlier than them.

"Yeah," I hear Dylan say, voice rasped from sleep. "I'll ask her."

He turns to me. "Do you want to go get breakfast with my mom and dad?"

I immediately nod.

He smiles softly, still eyeing me as he answers back. "She said yeah."

I gaze back at him, going over his physical state. Sleepy, soft brown eyes, matted wavy hair, pink dry lips. I find myself subconsciously leaning in before planting a timid kiss to his lips. He smiles just as I pull away, amused but pleased. I don't even think he's listening to what's being said over the phone anymore.

-

When we walk into Lucky's, Dylan tells the host we're meeting his parents and she lets us through ourselves. We find Beth and Ben in a booth, talking, smiling. It's an odd sight to me and I know it must be for Dylan as well because I see the look on his face as we approach the table.

I give him a discreet reassuring squeeze on his hand before I sit next to Beth.

"Hi, love." She smiles, pulling me in for a hug, planting a soft kiss in my hair.

I smile back. "Hi."

"Glad you guys could make it," Ben says and I offer him a smile back. Seeing him and Dylan right next to each other really shows their resemblance now. Their noses and charming brown eyes. My favorite features on Dylan come from this man.

We order our food and then Ben speaks up as the waiter leaves.

"We're thinking about going down the first week of June. Does that sound good? Does that work for you guys?"

Dylan looks to me for my answer and I nod.

"I can get work off," I say. "How long will we be staying?"

"A full week of the beach and sun. Nothing less," he tells me and I grin at the thought. "I'll buy the plane tickets tonight."

I miss the beach. I haven't been for a couple years. Mom doesn't get to do much with her new practice now. I think the last time we went to the beach was for my half 14th birthday and my wish was the beach. It was Beth, mom, and Dylan but we only stayed for three days because Beth had to be back at the hospital for work as soon as possible.

"Sounds perfect."

I feel Dylan's foot bump against mine under the table and then the contact stays. We meet eyes.