04: Nightmare of a Wet Dream

Chapter Four -  Nightmare of a Wet Dream

-

The rest of Thursday night, Dylan ignored his mom's calls and texts all night and I think she knew better than to stop over at my house and invade the time he needed to process seeing his dad after all these years.

I had to text Nick that I wasn't gonna be able to come over because something came up with Dylan and I needed to be there for him. His text back was short and I knew he was disappointed but Dylan needed me right now. Nick could wait.

When mom came home, I'd sat in the kitchen with her while she prepped tomorrow's dinner.

"What was she thinking?" I'd asked her quietly.

Dylan was upstairs watching the Harry Potter series with Willow cuddling him for emotional support. Harry Potter is one of his comfort movies so I suggested we put it on. I could tell he was off, overwhelmed and distracted inside his head.

She sighed, stopping what she was doing and slumping her shoulders. I could tell the situation didn't dawn on her very well either. Everyone seemed a bit tense.

She opened her mouth to answer me and then shook her head, letting out another sigh. "Anything I tell you, you are not to tell him until she speaks with him, okay?"

I nodded in understanding.

"He just got out of rehab for the third time last month. This time he got into contact with her and wants to reconcile—"

"Reconcile?" I ask in disbelief.

"Lydia," she scolded me, voice low. "Shh."

"I'm sorry. I'm just—that's crazy. How do you even come back from that, mom?"

"Some people don't," she told me, hands against the counter top. "That's why he's at least trying."

It was my turn to sigh, realizing she was right. I was just so angry for Dylan and seeing him so troubled reminded me of first time we met. But mom is a licensed therapist so this is what she's good at—understanding and seeing all perspectives in a calm manner. That's what I love most about her. I just know she'd analyzed this whole situation already.

"I don't think he's ready to talk to him, especially the way she just sprung him on him like that," I told her with a frown and her expression matched mine.

"And that's up to him. I told her he's growing up and will have to decide this for himself. She can't make him or it won't get anyone any where, except further his resentment towards both of them," she said and I nodded at this fact.