11: New Comings

sorry this took so long <33 haven't been wanting to use my brain but this is extra long and a little bit of what y'all r longing for ;) more to cum

Chapter Eleven - New Comings

-

With today being the last day of school today, I feel both relieved and bittersweet. Relieved that I will have the summer to get over my breakup with Nick and not having to see him and bittersweet that when we return it'll be our last year of high school.

Our class has collectively decided to get together again and have a big fire in Blaine Ryder's huge field in the back of his house. Most of us haven't been back there since 6th grade when it was his birthday and we played hide and seek in the dark.

"Are you going with Dylan?" I hear a girl's voice say behind me as I stare at my Instagram feed, waiting for the bell to ring.

I know the next voice belongs to Ambree. "He said he would pick me up if I wanted. I like jeeps so I'll probably go with him."

"Yeah, guys who drive jeeps are hot."

"His is old though. I like the newer ones but he's still hot."

"He used to not be though, which is weird. When did he even glo-up? When did that happen?"

"Shhh," I hear one of them say and they become quieter, assuming they've realized his best friend is right in front of them. I roll my eyes, pissed off that's who he wants to give his time to now. So shallow. Truly a waste.

"Does he know?" Someone asks quietly now but I'm still able to hear them.

"I told you not to talk about that here," Ambree's voice is harsh towards the girl and I internally shake my head. There's no way they genuinely enjoy her presence. Only nice to boys and nasty to girls. "It's not true anyway."

"Sorry," I hear the girl apologize quietly.

I think back to Norah telling me about Ambree's chlamydia rumor and I begin to wonder how close it really is to the truth.

-

"Thank fuck," Niyah sighs as we walk into the parking lot of the school. Many linger, talking, soaking the last day up. "I forbid anyone to mention school until August, okay? Okay, thanks."

I chuckle at her, feeling the same way.

I happen to look over and see a smiling Nick who's made a joke to Ambree to which she giggles to and I can't stop my furrowing eyebrows. They're not alone as they walk with a group but it's still odd to me. I never see them associate often.

"Why are they talking?" Niyah comments and I'm wondering the same thing. I can't have anyone to myself from her apparently. I lean my back against the car as the girls talk to Nikki, a fellow student of ours. Then I watch as Ambree and Nick's group part ways and I try to let the annoyance inside me fade slowly as I shrug it off.

"Strawburry," I suddenly hear in a silly accent behind me, jolting me out of my consuming thoughts. I turn to see Dylan with a warming smile on his face.

I smile. "Hi. What're you doing?"

"Getting ready to go home. Mom wants me to take her to her doctors appointment at 3:30," he says and subconsciously rests a hand beside my head as he leans against the car. "Come with?"