14: Closure

Chapter Fourteen - Closure

we need to talk

That's my text to Nick after constructing how to put it but I just put it simply because we do need to talk about this. I don't even know what I'm going to say. I'm angry and confused and just feeling so many things.

A part of me wants to tell my mom so I can have solutions and comfort in the situation but I'm scared and worried she'll be disappointed in me.

I wipe at my loose tears, sighing. Yesterday Dylan had done everything to make me feel better, despite our situation as well. Everything feels so weird. So new. So much change. Fast change. I'm trying to adjust. I would've been fine without the chlamydia.

The twins have checked in on me a few times, worried and concerned but I've told them I'll update them soon. They're going to flip their shit.

A knock sounds on my door and I wipe quickly again at my tears. My mom peeks her head in.

"Hi, Liddy," she greets and the nickname itself makes me let out a cry. I can't hold in anything with her. "Oh baby? What's wrong?"

She comes and sits down next to me, immediately pulling me in her hold. Her warmth automatically comforts me as I squeeze her to me.

"Is it Nick?" she asks when I whimper. I nod because I know right now my words will fail me.

"I don't know what to do," I breathe out in cries.

"What is it?" She rubs soothingly at my hair.

"I don't want you to get mad at me."

"I'm not going to get mad at you, Lyd. Just tell me what's going on. Maybe I can help."

"Mom," I cry and pull back. "I just found out Nick cheated on me and the worst part about it is that I only found out because I got tested at the gyno and he gave me chlamydia. They called me yesterday."

"No he didn't," mom gasps, tone firm as she looks at me.

"Yes," I cry. "And I feel so gross."

"Listen, baby, no. STI's go away. You take medicine for a week and then it clears up. It happens. I've had my fair share in college but I was dumb and young then. You live and you learn. You just trusted him and he's a complete ass for that. Have you talked to him?"

I absolutely admire how empathetic my mom is. I look up to her.

I shake my head. "I texted him that we need to talk. I'm just waiting for his text back—if he even texts me back. I don't even want to see him. I don't know what to say."

"You tell him straight up and because I know now that he's a piece of shit, do not let him gas light you into thinking he didn't give it to you because you've only been with him, right?"

I nod. "Yes."

"Try not to give him too much of a reaction because you know it's not the end of the world. If anything, it's just starting because you don't need someone like him in your life. You need someone who's going to be honest and respect you and your body. And that's not him, baby. So you tell him that he's a piece of shit for doing that to you and that he needs to go take care of himself so he doesn't hurt anyone else."