03: Wet

this is over 6,000 words.... i'm sorry it took so long. i'm so excited to write it

 i'm so excited to write it

Chapter Three - Wet

-

The cafeteria is louder than usual today and I assume it's because the sun is finally fully out and supposed to be out for the rest of the week. Vitamin D is feeding everyone's serotonin. I'm finally and officially wearing denim shorts today and plan to for the rest of the week with my favorite birkenstocks, feeling good. I'm in a good mood and it seems everyone else is too.

I smile as Norah sits down next to me with her yellow lunch box and then Niyah follows, sitting in front of me with nothing in hand.

"Not eating lunch again?" I ask her in concern.

Yesterday she didn't eat lunch and I recall the days before she only had some small fruits.

"Not hungry. Ate breakfast," Niyah tells me shortly.

"No, you didn't—"

Norah is cut off by Niyah speaking over her. "Did you hear about Taryn's little party she's having before school is out?"

"No," I say, slowly looking from Norah who's now quiet and slouched in her seat, eating her peanut butter sandwich to Niyah. "When?"

"Her and Peyton broke up, so I guess she's wanting to feel better by surrounding herself with a bunch of people," Niyah comments. We all glance in the direction of where Taryn sits and surely enough she's alone without the curly headed boy. It's odd to see since they were practically attached by the hip. "This Saturday."

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Norah doesn't look surprised with the news, telling me she most likely found out when Niyah did like usual.

The couple was going strong for three years. Everyone surely thought they would finish out as high school sweethearts but I guess anything can happen in high school.

"You wanna attend?" Niyah asks, the familiar mischievous smile playing on her lips. I look to Norah who shrugs, seeming to be on board with the idea.

"First drinks on our summer to do," Norah reminds and I chuckle, mindlessly picking up a piece of celery and dropping it back down on the tray. Well it'd be Norah and I's first drinks. Niyah's already beat us to that as well as smoking the greens.

"I told you guys I wasn't sure about that one," I remind them with my head tilted downwards, eyeing the edge of the table.

"Sure about what?" Nick appears from behind me, taking the piece of celery from my tray, taking a bite before pulling me into a hug. I smile warmly, mumbling a hi to him before he lets me go.